on 25 April 2009
Just recently purchased and read this book. I nearly split my sides with laughing so much. Not laughed out loud reading since the Tom Sharp series of books. A very good light read at bedtime after a hectic day if you are feeling stressed and want to wind down.

A year ago we aquired 7 Pekin Bantam hens of various flavours, who live free range in our back garden and who put themselves to bed each night in a lovely coup. We, as a family are now totally converted hen keepers and wished we had had them years ago. Martin Gurdon's book really struck a cord with us all. We can see ourselves doing daft things with our hens just as he does. Like spending large sums of money at the vet should we need to on a favourite hen which only cost us £15. There isn't a lot of information in terms of practical hen keeping, go and consult a manual on hen keeping if you want that. This book is full of very funny stories around being a hen owner.

I can highly recommend this book simply as a very funny book. I can also highly recommend keeping a few hens too. I often come home from work in the afternoon to find our favourite lavender Pekin sitting on my daughter's knee watching the Disney channel with her. The eggs they produce are pretty fantastic as well.

In a world where there isn't much to laugh about at the moment, we could all do with reading Martin Gurdons's book.
on 8 October 2009
This is a book about a man and his hens, and it's lovely. He manages to get across the feeling he has for them, same as most of us, where our hens are a pain in the bum at times but we can't imagine life without them! A lot of his stories I can relate to, and I hope a lot of them I can prevent after reading from his experience. There are things in there that really make you smile - like his hen 'Bossy' who stomps about claiming the best patches, and at the time I looked over at my hen Beatrice and thought "yup, I can see what you mean!"
on 5 May 2011
This book is more of a story with helpful information along the way, well written and had me chuckling in several places. Great for someone thinking of keeping some chickens at home, but wouldn't recommend if you're after in depth information.
on 14 May 2013
Just what i needed for hatching eggs this summer. great ebayer will use again in the future great ebayer xx
on 28 October 2009
This book had me in stitches,although more of a novel than a manual loads of relevant info in there. Good book to read if your at the thinking of getting chickens stage.
on 2 December 2007
Like other reviewers here, I thought this book was very entertaining, hugely humerous, and very warmly written. It is not a soppy recollection of chicken tales, but an open and honest (yes, and funny - but how could a book about these fabulous birds fail to be funny?) look at how one man has had his life affected by his feathery pals.

Chapter 2 starts with the words: "The sort of chicken-keeping we were embarking on can be summed up in three words: 'twee' and 'middle class." And I read those words with recognition, not embarrassment. My two ex-Tesco hybrid waifs are currently strutting their stuff around our ill-prepared garden, and laying an average of 9 eggs a week between the two of them.

This book is for people like me. I have recently ordered 2 more copies of this for my newly chickenified friends. Why? Because of its honesty. Because of the little snippets of chicken care secrets. Because of the kindness in this book. Because it's worth its weight in eggy gold!
on 4 January 2010
Short and frothy, this is an amusing time-filler but perhaps a slightly lengthy book based on a thin plot idea.
Well written, and an amusing look at a topic which is usually tackled in a dry and boring manner, but that doesn't make it a fulfilling book.
Better to dip into than expect to provide a good lengthy read.
on 4 September 2007
I don't recommend reading this in bed next to a spouse who has to get up for an early commute. You could be laughing so hard, you may not be forgiven. I haven't had such a good time reading a book in I don't know how long... terrifically witty & many laugh-out-loud moments.

I agree with another reviewer who said this book can help you make up your mind about having chickens, as it gives the ups and downs and the no nonsense and the you've got to really want to do this kind of thing information woven into the humour. But I think there are quite a few good lessons to be learnd and chix health tips I'd not heard of before, so I'd recommend it also as a way to get some good chicken rearing information.
on 2 March 2004
When we first got our little flock of half a dozen, one hen was most notably bullied by the others. We had a couple of books from the library most of which were bogged down in pests and diseases or graphic black line drawings on killing them. How I wish we had this book. It is easily read and glows with a love of chickens and their personalities as well as how to look after your birds. Chickens are underestimated and much more interesting and easier to keep than imprisoning an unfortunate exotic pet in your home. On the subject of a £50 vets bill for a hen that cost £3.50, Gurdon explains "Perhaps this is a waste of money ....but this galumphing, primitive animal with 8,000 feathers has easily given us more entertainment value than we'd have got from spending £50 on cigarettes, lifestyle magazines or some rubbish TV programmes ......She's enjoyed life and we've enjoyed her enjoying it. What more could any of us want?" A bit of compassion and a great laugh, what indeed else could we want?
0Comment| 72 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 April 2008
A little bit funny in places and an occasional insight but by and large poorly written and forgetable.