on 1 February 2018
I purchased this book for my friend whose first language is not English. As she has attained fluency in our language, I thought she may find this interesting as it includes explanations of some of our rather odd expressions.

When I received the book, I leafed through it and was surprised to find that although some very common expressions are included, for example ‘walking the plank’, most of them are quite obscure and probably would not be used in everyday conversation. Have you ever heard someone in the UK refer to orange juice as a glass of jubbly? Or to refer to a meal as the ‘curate’s egg’?

Furthermore, as another reviewer has stated, not all the phrases originate in England – worth noting, if you are purchasing it for someone who had an interest in the UK’s culture. It would also have been handy to have an index in order to be able to look up the phrases quickly.

Considering its low price, I would say it is worth buying as an extra gift or perhaps a stocking filler, but not as an all-encompassing guide to English colloquial expressions.
on 10 October 2017
If you are interested in the English Language then this should be on your bookshelf. The origins of our sayings are so interesting.
Bought to replace a copy I gave to a friend.
on 3 March 2017
A very useful book for me, because English language is my second language. It was so interesting to discover that many of sayings are similar to Latvian sayings. Happy to know that our cultures are not far away from each other.
on 15 September 2017
Arrived early, good condition and a very interesting read-very pleased with it
on 19 March 2018
This book is part of my friend's birthday present. I am sure she will love it.
on 5 January 2017
I bought this for an Italian friend who was always puzzled by my use of old phrases and sayings during our conversations, The book is brilliant, funny and user friendly explaining the meanings of common, and not so well known, sayings and how they came about, My friend loved it and now uses some of the phrases in her own conversations. Highly recommended.
on 8 April 2018
HAVENT READ THIS YET BUT IT LOOKS GOOD.
on 19 July 2017
great
on 14 October 2015
Nice idea - although some of the entries are a bit odd - as if they were struggling to fill the book!!! Still it made a good gift for my father in law.
on 3 August 2013
I am very interested in where the sayings we have originate from and this book looked one for me! It really is an interesting book and can be picked up at any time. I also loved the cover which felt like cloth, very unexpected but I like it very much. Good quality and price.