Customer reviews

on 26 May 2017
Although brilliantly written, I have mixed emotions. As the great-grandmother of a little two year old boy, not yet formally diagnosed as autistic, I find this book disturbing as well as very funny at times. The author and father of the child is amazing and manages to keep such a sense of humour, but this boy is profoundly autistic - 100 times worse than our own is and has every been. But there are so many things that I recognize that it is upsetting for me to read, compare, and wonder what my granddaughter, her husband, and their other little boy of five will have to cope with for the rest of their lives. There is no doubt that David, the star if this book, is a mightily complex yet lovable character, and his parents are to be totally admired for the way they continue to look after him as love so much. They have allowed him to grow up to be himself, so he is happy, and what more can any child ask? I know that he has found, and will continue to find, life puzzling, and to his mind, ridiculous at times, which no doubt it is, and I can only hope (and indeed expect with the parents that he has) that he will continue to thrive. My heart goes out to this family and my own, whilst at the same time I am thankful that our own little boy seems to have similar, but much milder traits.
on 11 June 2016
Loved this book, I have grandchildren who are autistic, but reading this book I realise how lucky we are, some things I can see in them, but they able to go to normal schools,and are doing well, thank God. I watch them growing and remember things that happened when they were younger, lots of repetition, everything had to be done in a certain way. I know of a child like David whose family are finding it difficult, but are doing everything in their power to cope with it all. Parents like these need a lot of help, which is sometimes is hard to get, even a short time on their own to relax and not have to worry and to know their child is in the safe hands of someone who understands the childs needs. I wish David and his family a good future and Gods help to cope with their life.
on 15 November 2017
This book was truly inspirational and helped me to come to terms with the news that my youngest is on the spectrum. This book gave me hope, knowledge and insight to realise that my son will be OK. I loved the humour in this book, and there were some really heartfelt, emotional parts. I found the history of autism fascinating but more than anything I loved that this family worked with their son to ensure he was happy, whilst safe, to go with the flow and not let other's reactions keep them from going out and doing what family's do. I've avoided shops with my youngest for a while now, the tantrums were too painful. I know better now, thanks to the attitude of the author, and won't let the judgement of strangers stop me taking my son anywhere he wants to go or I need to be.
on 4 March 2016
This book is touching and real, I was crying with laughter at one point - which I didn't expect. Genuine, natural and accessible, it was hard to put it down. They're a devoted loving family living with a difficult condition.

Much respect and love to them and their lovely sons.
on 27 April 2013
a truly amazing book that i can see has taken alot of courage to write. it has truly helped me in understanding my own sons behaviour and also made me realise there our other people coping with autism day in day out and doing amazing job. david sound like a right character and i hope he does well in life would love to read a follow up book about how he is getting on in years to come well done to christopher and nicole stevens for taking the time and courage to write this book
on 10 April 2015
As the grand parent of a child with high functioning autism and knowing the difficulties, I enjoyed reading this. It gave me a real insight to just how much more difficult it is parenting a child with extreme autism. This was no tear jerker, often humorous, but deeply felt.
on 26 April 2014
This outstanding book written so brilliantly makes me want to be a better mum. I have laughed, shed loads of tears and learnt so much.
on 12 March 2017
Fantastic read and so very honest. A must read for anyone interested in autism
on 19 August 2015
This is a fantastic book which made me laugh, cry and more! Clearly written from the heart but not to shock or gain sympathy but to share and inform and celebrate.
on 16 April 2017
Amazing book with a real insight into how life is for parents living with a child who's different. I couldn't put it down & neither could my mum.