on 10 July 2008
The introduction to this book sets the scene of the wartime kitchen and beyond during rationing, and continues with reproductions of wartime leaflets. For content I would have given this book five stars but marked it down by one since I found some of the reproductions rather difficult to read due to poor quality - even with my super new reading glasses.

This book is not just a nostalgic look at the past but contains valuable nutritional advice which is as applicable today with the range of foods available to us as it was then.

Given the current economic climate and the need for us all to reduce food and energy waste, there are many useful tips to pick up from this book. Filling, wholesome food and a balanced diet is possible with good planning, even with the most frugal ingredients.

I also picked up nutritional tips - the benefits of parsley for example - and how to reduce fat.

Something I now want to do is weigh out the family's weekly wartime rations and see how many days it lasts! No wonder everyone was slim during the war, but apparently slim, fit and much healthier than many people are today.
on 6 June 2017
I love history and this is a very good book and I even sourced some dried eggs to try out some of the ideas not all of which work but would keep you alive.
on 2 January 2014
I love the fact that this book is a compilation of real leaflets distributed in the Second World War. Reading it really took me back in time.
It's interesting to see what cooks were advised to use and how they had to make their rations last.
on 8 March 2017
This should be given out in schools and colleges and universities, ie to young people. To everyone. So educational, so much common sense, how to eat well on a budget in fine detail.
on 14 May 2017
Lots of original posters/pamphlets, obviously reduced in size but still readable. I found it really interesting
Book was in lovely condition
on 19 July 2017
Part of our history also a help with todays life style
on 3 May 2010
My Grand mother had an original volume of this cook book. Sadly on her death in 1976 they were disposed of and became lost.

Not only was there a certain nostalgia value in obtaining this volume and its companion fascimle. In these times of austerity the recipes remain relevant today for those of us on very restricted budgets. As a proffesional Chef its amazing how much of modern dishes classified as traditional were created during the rationing period (1940-1958)

These recipes from the Ministry Of Food and promoted by Magaritte Patten gave us Apple Crumble and the humble Fish Cake, originally Savoury Cakes.
on 6 July 2010
I have recommended this book to several family & friends now, they all love it too, it not only has good value recipes in, but excellent money saving tips even by modern day standards, i have tried several of the recipes and all have been excellent, i whole heartedly recommend this book if you are interested in wartime cookery, even if you are just learning to cook, the recipes are basic and easy to understand.
on 9 October 2008
I bought the pair for my mum a year ago and they have ended up going round the whole family, young and old. Yes they have a nostalgic feel to them and it's food that nana used to make but thats what makes them so good, we are now having to live as if things are rationed, the meals that were made back then weren't full of e numbers and other nasty things (lets face it, we've all become alergic to them all anyway), they were wholesome and filling with no waste, after all I'm sure it's not only me that loves bubble and squeek on a monday with the sunday roast left overs. It has made me realize how lucky I am to have everything I want but I can survive on next to nothing.
Also the Make do and Mend is also full of cleaning tips and a definate must for anyone living in a period house and trying to keep things going, I live in a stone cottage and in a preservation area, with a house full of original things like Arga'sand stone floors I found good tips on how to care for these items without using chemical cleaners that corrode them away.
on 30 June 2011
I love this book. It might be small but it is packed full of useful and interesting information.

Not only is it fascinating to read the leaflets given out by the Ministry of Food, learning more about the social history and conditions of rationing, but it also has loads of great recipes! This is the kind of food my Grandma used to make, with lots of warm comforting dishes used to fill you up. It also contains plenty of practical advice on skills that aren't as common as they used to be, such as bottling and how to cook whilst saving fuel.

There is maybe a little more fat included than we would be used to cooking with now, but far less than is probably hidden in supermarket convenience food! The quest for a good diet is as relevant now as it was then, and I am amazed by the volume of fruits and vegetables suggested for good health in these leaflets, they put our '5 a day' to shame. Suprisingly, this has become one of my most used books, not only because it is great to read, but because it has so many handy tips and recipes!