on 20 September 2017
As a teenger, the randomness and pure sarcasm of these letter was achingly funny. I shared this with a wide group of freinds, and we all enjoyed the authors blatentocking of authority .
To all the one star reviews, have you ever heard of sarcasm? I just don't get you!!
on 10 August 2015
Hmm - the title says it all for me. I was recommended it by a friend who seemed to be quite bright.... I may have to reassess her after this! Dull reading - go and buy Henry Root's letters if you want to see how to do it properly.
on 17 September 2017
Genius. Great read for passing the time when away on holiday
on 20 October 2017
great read. very funny.
book was delivered with no surprises.
quick delivery
on 9 August 2013
I loved the concept of this book... It's hilarious! It's a good easy read and I couldn't put it down!
on 26 August 2013
I was looking forward to this book but found it a little boring and predictable . Maybe best to read as couple of the letters now and again.
on 2 January 2005
I am not normally one to laugh out loud when reading a book. The Timewaster Letters, however, had me in fits of uncontrolable laughter when I started it late one night in bed over the Christmas hols. My wife, already soundly asleep next to me, soon woke as I started to roar and cry with laughter. If you want 2 hours of childish fun, I cannot recommend this wonderful piece of nonsense enough.
VINE VOICEon 24 October 2014
Having enjoyed Robert Popper's comedy in shows such as 'Look Around You' and 'Friday Night Dinner' I read that he'd produced a series of letters under the pseudonym Robin Cooper. Originally published regularly in 'Jack' magazine (no, I've never heard of it either...) they begin in 1999 and conclude in 2003 and are of varying quality. Some are laugh-out-loud hilarious and my husband banned me from reading them in bed, but others are less so. I did enjoy the sense of ridiculous that Popper created and the fact that the London Mayors' Association actually published his blueprints for some new mace designs in one of their newsletters was a touch of genius. I also enjoyed some of the running jokes such as the tubby nature of Cooper's neighbour's cat. The fish frying correspondence was also pretty funny.

In conclusion: a great book, really funny. However I think that the original serialisation was probably better because reading letter after letter in one, two or indeed three sittings could become a little tiresome. Perhaps Mr Cooper could send some of his publishing profits off to the victims of the Battle of Hastings?
Anyone with a dry, sarcastic sense of humour will find this hilarious, as the author deliberately writes letters to organisations he has deliberately misinterpreted. e.g. The Chippendale Society, wanting to book a performance of its strippers, rather than having an interest in wooden furniture. In addition he manages to keep correspondence ongoing in a overly polite manner, that you cant help laugh out loud at!

Well worth £6.
on 21 December 2004
I loved this book - I bought it in a second hand shop in Stoke Newington, as I normally only buy novels new, but I regretted not having bought this new. I may have to go out and buy another copy - and more copies for friends and family.
I laughed so hard I almost cried. I got odd looks on the bus, but I didn't care. Some of this book is just hilarious - e.g. in particular the scarecrows made of beef - and then the fact that these were actually meant to be made of "beel". But nearly every page was brilliant. As a publisher myself, the letters to and from publishers and the madcap children's book ideas particularly appealed.
There are other similar books, from the US - these aren't as funny, and the one I read seemed to be a lot more repetitive and far less interesting. This is the one you should buy - now.