Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Playlist - Acoustic Christmas Shop now Shop now

on 29 April 2016
Ooh questions, questions, questions! This is my second reading.... whilst it reads well first time, non-put-downable, scepticism creeps in on the second read. Gerry Agar seems like a terrier with a bone about Michael's drug taking. From reading up on the subject it would seem that Michael was attempting to clean up his act, despite the press intrusion. Occasional cocaine dalliances but it was mostly Prozac that he was taking to cure his depression. That 1996 drug raid is a little suspicious. Was the heroin packet added? All that - Michael asked me to check the contents of the Mr Kipper parcel - PLEASE!!! Was the whole thing a set up? I think the press intrusion and pressure is well documented. Agar seemed surprised that Michael no longer liked Anita after her refusal to support Paula at the custody trial... well, all along she had encouraged Paula to leave Bob, for reasons documented and when it came to backing Paula up (as the only person who could) she refused. From all that has been said about Michael, it would seem that he would see this as unfair and not being truthful. He would have been upset by this. So it was not surprising that he went off Anita! There's something that doesn't quite add up about that drug raid. But, who am I, Miss Marple? There's still something intrinsically puzzling about Michael's demise... Did he still love Paula, or was he trying to escape ... perhaps a bit of both. Perhaps it was one mixed up jumble. But it seemed he was desperate to see Paula. And desperate to see Tiger. What was it that Bob had revealed to him in that phone call? Or Paula? This book gives a good insight into some of the goings on of the Paula/Michael/Bob triangle. I don't think the full implication of Michael's head injury in 1991, it's debilitating influence and it's capacity to ignite a rage episode is described in enough medical jargon and detail. Michael had obviously gone through a lot to cure it, but perhaps that final phone call caused an insurmountable, indefatigable storm that Michael couldn't calm.
This book, for me, raises the question: Were Michael and Paula really soul mates? Perhaps in a temporary Cathy/Heathcliff manner, so intense it would have/had burned itself out or perhaps they would have sorted their differences and lived happily ever after. Perhaps, Michael needed someone funny, yes, but someone who loved him enough to rally with his family, and friends to offer him support as well.
on 11 December 2017
now i am not a lover of biographies but have long admired Sir Bob so thought I'd give it a go. Well I so disliked Paula and Michael and didn't understand any of the sympathy directed at them. I also couldn't endear myself to the author (who is Paula's friend in the book). i felt the book to be boring and only finished it out of principle.
on 29 September 2015
I am not a massive fan of any of these celebrities; however I did think it sad she took her life after he did, so intregued to read this. So far I am finding it a good read, the dynamics in the relationship were strange , Michael sounds like a complex character who was incapable of being faithful, whilst Paula comes across as very childlike
on 25 August 2017
It made interesting reading but a sad state of affairs.
on 19 December 2014
I am really impressed with this book. It is shedding light from a close friend's perspective, on a very tragic time. Well written and interesting as well as easy to read.
on 22 November 2015
A real insight into the life of a very complicated lady, and the two men who loved her.
on 3 May 2015
Fascinating and interesting insight into the last few years of Paula and michaels life, well written, one of my favorite books
on 29 May 2014
Was prompted to read this after the recent death of Peaches Geldof. The years in which the writer was close to the family are described in detail and the sadly inexorable slide towards death becomes understandable. The writing style is a bit clunky but overall a useful account of this family story.
on 4 November 2017
This is a disturbing, immoral book that should never have been written.

The author gives the most intimate details that were clearly imparted to her in confidence at the time by Ms Yates who was evidently in a less-than-sound state of mind. Though Ms Yates and her lover Michael Hutchence are no longer alive, Yates' children are (bar one who died tragically even younger than her mother). For this book to be around can only be incredibly painful to the children. Bob Geldof also did not deserve to have this sorry tale retailed once again, it having been all over the tabloid press at the time.

The book does not tell us anything new about the damaging effects of fame and hard drugs on individuals and their long-suffering families. The book does provide a salutary lesson to famous people not to confide their secrets to others who are then able to cash in on the intimate confidences.

I have burnt my copy of this book, the first time I have ever burnt a book in my life.
on 24 September 2016
A book you dont need to read! I found myself doing so after finding a copy on the shelf in a campsite laundry room (so rock n' roll!?). I picked it up only because I remembered the whole saga in the 80s. I used to commute into central London at that time on the tube and this, quite frankly, is the stuff of tabloid dreams. Once I had started it I had to read it all although in the same way that you drive past a car crash and you really don't want to look, but you do.
How people get themselves into such a mess is beyond my comprehension... a mixture of egos, hedonism and stupidity I guess? My heart bleeds for those poor girls growing up. I am not a particular fan of Geldof, however I have a lot of respect for what he did and I personally think growing up with her sisters was the best outcome for Tiger.

I am slightly suspicious of the author though.... talk about turning the worst of human addictions and humiliation to your advantage.