Customer reviews

on 28 December 2008
This book was great. For people just wanting to know a bit more about it, for current home educators who are curious how other people do it, for those with a specific question, this book covers it all. It tells you all you need to know to make the decision about whether home education is right for your family but without being preachy or dull. The quotes from real-life families are human and illuminating and Mountney portrays the whole spectrum of methods of home education with careful summaries of the main points and advantages and disadvantages. This is a book to read cover to cover, or to buy and keep to refer to as and when specific issues pop up. Recommended.
on 21 February 2016
This is great introduction for home education and one of the few that is relevant to the UK. I found it informative and inspirational. After reading it I couldn't wait to home school my 11 year old. It's well written, concise and has lots of interesting personal accounts from other parents who have chosen to educate at home. I recommended it to be bought into stock for my local library.
on 17 March 2017
Fantastic book. Ross's words are brilliant and every home ed family should read! I'll be buying her others asap!
on 22 July 2017
What a wonderful read. Ross writes so beautifully and I found her book to be totally inspiring. I am just beginning my home ed journey with my children and she has really helped to put my mind at ease.
on 30 August 2013
I bought this book at the time I was panicking about if I should or shouldn't home school. I felt I knew nothing. This book put my mind at ease and guided me through what I needed to know. Its one of those books I know I will be coming back to again and again.
The author clearly knows what they are talking about - a must have book for all UK home educators
on 8 November 2012
This book is amazing. It is fair and honest in its ideas. It gives a balanced view, with both the pros and the cons that exist. Making the choice to home school is a massive undertaking! This book gave me the courage to do what I knew in my heart was right. It really makes the reader think about the choice thats being made. If you're thinking of or are intrested in learning more about home education, this book is for you.
on 16 November 2013
I bought this book when we were first considering home educating our children. I was doing a browse and this one popped up - I am so glad it did! It was the first book on the subject that I read, and it answered all of my questions as well as a few more that hadn't occurred to me. I recommend this book to everyone I meet who is considering Home Ed, so thought it was about time I left a recommendation here as well.
If you're considering taking your child out of mainstream (school) education, read this! You honestly won't regret it.
on 1 October 2011
I loved this book and found it very inspirational on many levels. My children were having a terrible time settling into school and were changing from avid learners to sobbing wrecks.

I felt equally uninspired by the atmosphere within their school and the national curriculum. Since reading this I joined a home school network and blossomed as both an individual and a parent. I tackled the school issues and when I realised they could not be resolved I moved my children to an environment more fitting to their needs. If this still proves too problematic I now have the courage to start home educating full time.

This book is thought provoking (and you'll find your self nodding in agreement a lot whilst reading it and practical. It give honest advice, gentle guidance and includes resource lists to help you find out more.

Me and my family are much happier for reading it and we are enjoying learning again..my next must read books are going to be 2 books by John Holt.

I have remember how much I love to do and learn new things and would recommend this book to anyone experiencing difficulties with education or who wants to adopt a more open minded approach to learning.
on 19 March 2011
Really good book for lots of reasons. A lot of home schooling books are American and so this English book is more relevant to us in the UK. The writer is very experienced and is able to point out all the pros and cons of home schooling, and many points that the unexperienced parent would not have thought of themselves. It also gives positive and useful information and advice to successfully homeschool.
on 9 October 2014
I love this book. It tells you lots about home education without being prescriptive or preachy. Loads of helpful advice and ways to approach Home Ed for those of us just starting out on the journey. Contains lots of useful tips and websites/groups who can help. I would say that it seems like a fairly comprehensive and straight-forward/easy-to-read guide that covers all the main aspects of Home Ed. The book is very slim and could be read quite quickly I think. My son is only a year old at the moment, so I've been dipping in and out of it as our Home Ed days are only just starting with toddler groups at the moment! So far, I think the book has answered most, if not all, of my questions about how Home Ed works, or can work. The book demonstrates some of the many approaches parents/guardians can take with HE and has made my decision to HE my son a firm one. It's given me the confidence to know that I can do this. For any prospective buyers, this book is great and was made even better for me by reading it alongside "A Funny Kind Of Education" also by Ross Mountney; a lovely, funny, warm book about her family's journey as they started out on their Home Ed adventure.