on 11 September 2008
I work in school settings with children and young people with emotional and behavioural difficulties and I found this book a must have!!! The programme is very well set out and clearly organised. The young people found the images and activities fun and entertaining and were enthusiastic about carrying out the practical work and group discussions. This book has helped me in my understanding of CBT and how it relates to children and young people. I would fully recommend this progamme.
on 7 April 2010
This is an excellent book and a wonderful resource for anyone working therapeutically with groups of children. It is a manual for running groups for distressed or troubled children, using cognitive-behavioural therapy techniques. Cognitive-behavioural therapy, or CBT, is a counselling/psychotherapy technique that is an effective treatment for a variety of mental health problems, including anxiety, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder, that is used extensively in adults and children.

"Cool Connections with cognitive behavioural therapy" contains a series of well designed exercises for demonstrating the basic CBT techniques to children in ten group sessions. There is a wealth of examples of common anxieties and problems faced by children. The practical group exercises enable them to understand their difficulties and explore ways to overcome them. It is clearly written, extensively illustrated, and is fully photocopiable.

Laurie Seiler manages to make CBT concepts such as "identifying thoughts", "types of thinking" and "goal setting" understandable, useful and fun for children. This book can be used by child and adolescent mental health professionals, teachers and youth workers alike.

Rob Davey, Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist
on 11 September 2008
Fun, engaging and informative. The young people who have been involved have really enjoyed taking part in the programme. We have all had a laugh at the fun cartoons and illustrations which go alongside the material. I previously used an Australian programme called FRIENDS. However, I have recently converted to the Cool Connections Programme as it seems to contain more material, is cleared and more up to date. I have found the material in the book useful in helping my individual clients with their CBT. Many of my adult clients also report benefiting from the material. I hope the author writes more material like this. Great !
on 11 September 2008
I have found Cool Connections really helpful in my work with children and young people. It is a well set out programme that is very user friendly and the children enjoy and get a lot out of it and are able to understand the concepts. Using this material has encouraged me to go forward and train as a CBT therapist.I look forward to more from this author.
on 9 October 2014
Interesting read lots of different ideas only down side it's a group thing more then a 1 to 1 but it doesn't matter as I can work this book with a sml group of siblings
on 13 March 2013
this is a great book with a lot of helpful tools if you work with young people, very reader friendly and make you want to start using the tool straight away. if using cbt in you work this is a great book well worth the money.
on 8 January 2014
It helped me help my daughter with her anxieties.i would recommend it for either classroom or a caring parent. J
on 28 June 2012
I have found the resources within the book extremely useful and easy to use. I couldn't wish for better.The activities are clear, concise, well structured and clearly explained and they are photocopiable which make them ideal for groups.
on 23 April 2016
So far in reading this book, I have found some very clear and useful advice. I work with children and families so you can never know too much!
on 15 June 2015
Very accessible and relevant content. I have added it to my tool box for school counselling