Customer reviews

Asperger Syndrome - A Love Story
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2013
I bought this book recently for my 38 year old son who has Asperger's. He is in a new relationship now and is already coming up against problems so I had it sent direct to him. He was married once for eight years. I thought the reviews for this book, bar one, were very encouraging and that is why I bought it. I know my son hasn't read it yet but I hope he will soon and get benefit from it. I do intend to buy other books on the subject but I have given this one five stars in anticipation. Hard to grade when I have not read it myself.
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 January 2011
I was looking forward to reading a book written about a couple that had made it work and got through the Aspergers understanding issues. However this couple do not live together and do not have a family so I could not relate to it at all I'm afraid.
My relationship with my Aspergers partner would be very few if I only spent 3 days of the week him and didn't have children to take care of !
22 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 September 2017
I have been interested in and reading about this condition for quite some time now in order to better understand someone very dear to me who although undiagnosed, exhibits traits associated with Asperger's syndrome.
Most of those read are written from a professional or NT (neurotypical) perspective which is good, but this is the first time I have seen situations discussed from both viewpoints. We both have found this so helpful as we can read, discuss and understand how each of us perceives that same incident.
The realisation of his outlook made me cry. It was truly enlightening.
Doubt they'll see this, but am sending big heartfelt Thank You to Sarah and Keith.
on 11 November 2014
I have read a number of Aspergers books over the years and so far found this one the most easy to read and very informative. It kept my attention, I found it very useful in listening to the AS and NT versions of events and how they dealt with situations and could very much relate to my own relationship with my Aspie husband. It helped me to gain coping strategies and understanding of my own situation with my AS husband and it helped a lot to read Keith's explanation of how he thinks as my husband is not able to do this as he doesn't understand his thoughts and feelings yet. A very useful book and I'm very grateful for Sarah and Keith to have taken the time out to write this book and share their experiences. Thank you!
on 16 November 2015
I found this book useful for comparison with myself and my husband, its hard because we're all different aspie or not, but some points definitely rang a bell, I felt a bit miffed when it was explained that they dont live together all the time, but you have to do whatever works, there are definitely times when I would like some space, and times when I need more closeness than I get, but there are also a lot of good points to an aspie man as well, Ive been married 40+ years, and we managed fine with 2 children.
on 14 May 2011
I really enjoyed this book for lots of different reasons. Being the partner of a female Aspie, I've read books that mostly concentrate on this so there are some differences between my partner and those of Keith (the male Aspie in the book)*. However, this hasn't stopped my from gaining an insight into the workings of someone with AS and learn how I can manage my relationship. It's also been great to see another couple who have an unconventional way of working out their relationship (my partner and I live together, but don't share a room). It's also refereshing for this to be written by a British couple, as I find the more American books tend to grate a little after a while in their use of language (and also a lot of their resources don't apply to the UK).

Overall, I found the book really easy to read, and the kind of conversational nature makes it easy to understand. I really would recommend this to those in AS relationships as it provides a lot of useful, easy to understand information.

* A side note to this, Sarah Hendrickx actually states at the beginning that the book is from their POV, so not all couples will see their partner reflected in Keith. This is due to the fact that AS is quite a diverse thing in itself, much like all humans really!
on 13 March 2017
I will write a review here because i believe it would help. My partner has Asperger's and this book without doubt helped me to my surprise as i didnt expect it, so i would definitely recommend it
on 21 September 2017
Very honest and helpful account of being in a relationship with an Aspie. Short and punchy anecdotes, which makes it an easy book to pick up and put down.
on 24 January 2013
This is the book that will make anyone think twice about friends that may have this Syndrome. The symptoms are very recognisable as they were evident in my first husband. Unfortunately neither of us realised at the time and so we fought a lot even though we loved each other very much. IF only we had known about this book 40 years ago. How different life would have been.
on 22 April 2015
An heartwarming and poignant journey that I think many people will relate to. Interestingly enough, I understand that Sarah too was later diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome and have attended several of her excellent training workshops.