Customer reviews

Succeeding in College with Asperger Syndrome: A Student Guide
Format: Paperback|Change

on 15 November 2015
Personally this book did not help me, there were a lot of norms als rules as how to behave in the outside world. As a person for me, I already excelled in the social skills required to manifest myself in the real world way before I read this book or ever heard about any books for self-help for people with HFA/Aspergers. there was a lot of bs that I could not resonate at all with.
on 23 January 2015
Excellent, recommended seller.
on 17 February 2014
this book was recommended by a university counsellor. I have read it and will pass it on to my colleagues. This book provides an excellent guide.
on 7 March 2004
We got this book for our son after Xmas. He has AS and was finding college life difficult. He has found it very useful and tells us that he consults it regularly. There are lots of small stories about students with AS which make it interesting and more personal. A lot of what is in the book is stating the obvious which is what people with AS need to know. This is a good thing. What we found most useful were the sections about anxiety reduction, handling college commitments and managing people contact. There is a very useful chapter on setting up an AS support group in college. The book also discussed a lot of concerns that we raised initially with the student welfare services about our son's needs. Access to counsellors is discussed and what to expect when with them is also discussed. It is very donw to earth for the AS person. There is a lot of information on living with others and sharing rooms. Meeting girls and dating is gone into detail. The focus is on managing anxiety and time which are big issues with AS. The book has suggestions for practice and feedback. What we liked here is that the book always says that it is okay to be different. There is a chapter on bright people with AS which is really encouraging. Overall we liked this book and our son likes it too.
on 20 March 2004
As a someone involved in counselling adolescents and young adults with Asperger syndrome I am often asked to advise on career choices. College is increasingly accessible and until this book, I hadn't come across anything sufficiently systematic to help me and recommend to my clients. When I first became aware of the book, I thought Big deal, not another book on careers and Asperger syndrome... When I got the book and read it, any reservations disappeared. It is a marvellously intelligent, sensitive guide to student life. Suitable for counsellors (like me), those with Asperger syndrome in college and planning to go there, and their parents or caregivers. Along with the three of four standard Asperger syndome reference books, this book will remain with them on my shelf. It contains remarkably large dollops of achievable commonsense for those with Asperger syndrome. All round good investment.
on 29 June 2010
As a mother with an 18 year old son with AS I can really recommend this book. It is easy to read and gives good, practical advice on what to expect and how to deal with everyday situations in university or college. As a parent, it also gave me an insight into the difficulties my son experiences in this type of environment and gave me a better understanding of his way of thinking. I particularly liked the chapter on 'Communication: getting along with others' which I thought was useful and informative. There are little scenarios throughout the book to illustrate a point which give it a much more personal feel.
on 12 July 2010
This is a really good book, really helpfull gide. And very reashoring for someone with aspergers how is eather at uni or planning to go to uni.