on 19 July 2017
The information itself was helpful, but is very tatty cover, and pages marked and stained.
on 15 April 2013
Had a fish tank 25 years ago, how things have changed, this book could not be better for the beginner, cant go wrong if you just follow the day to day instructions, I love it, highly recommended.
on 12 August 2010
I am a total novice when it comes to Aquariums, just about to make my own from scratch (thats siliconing the thing together as well!).

This book arrived the other day via Amazon's usual, (to date) faultless service, and I have read it front to back already.

Well set out and highly informative, especially aimed at the beginner but I feel sure the more advanced fishkeeper will find it helpful too.
Step by step setting up of the equipment detailing the alternatives available along the way.
Comprehensive section on aquatic plants.
Separate sections detailing first fish to buy, then second and then a selection of fish to be added when the tank is more established. Concentrates on the community fish but includes a selection of Cichlids suitable for the comunity tank.
One extra plus, is its indication of the size of each fish fully grown, something many books fail to do.

You can't go wrong with this book, worth every penny.
on 20 November 2007
This book is not cheap, even at Amazon prices but it is worth the extra few pounds. The author has been involved in the writing or co-writing of a number of aquarium/tropical fish books and has certainly got the hang of how to go about producing a good book, covering all aspects of fish-keeping.

The book takes you step by step through the business of setting up an aquarium, something that you must know how to do correctly, because if you don't the results can be catastrophic. Most people when they get a tank, immediately want to see some fish in it. Disaster strikes and they give up the idea of keeping fish before they have even started.

This book tell you the correct way to set up the tank when to introduce the plant and more importantly when to put fish in. Without going into great detail here, a chemical process needs to take place before the water is fit to put fish in. Putting fish into water that five minutes ago was in the tap is a sure recipe for disaster. The book explains what needs to be done step by step.

Follow the instructions in the book and you will have a wonderful looking tank with beautiful, healthy fish, some of which are shown in the excellent photographs in the book. The old saying "it's easy when you know how" illustrates why you should buy this book and anyway watching the movements of brightly colored fish , that rapidly become tame enough show their hungry when you get the food out is much better than watching TV and more relaxing.
on 7 February 2012
I bought this because of the reviews & think it's as good as is claimed. My only reservation was that I looked for a trouble-shooting section when I had a problem with water-quality & didn't find one.

I know there is extensive advice about achieving the correct water-quality but I hoped to find a quick solution when my tank-water was poor. The section on water chemistry is extremely useful & if I'd had the book a couple of weeks earlier, when I got my fish, I probably wouldn't have had any difficulty. I'd just like to have had quick-reference help on sorting it. That said, my other 2 aquarium books were not as useful as this one.

I think the week-by-week format is very good & the illustrations & writing-style are of very high quality.
on 21 December 2009
This book was recommended to me by the owner of an aquarium and fish shop. What great advice. The book is very easy to read, takes you day by day and tells you what to do at each point. Being a complete novice I found this book very helpful. Lovely pictures illustrate the book throughout. Highly recommended!
on 8 December 2010
me an my wife are just about to jump into aquarium project and were looking for something which could explain in detail from A to Z. This is the one! Very pleased with the layout and photograph quality. It really does the job and gives you a clear picture where to start and how to progress. If you are a beginner then this book is a must have.
on 25 June 2012
As a new tropical fish keeper this book is a great source of information. Written in simple terms and well laid out.
Also very good price.
on 29 September 2013
I found this book really useful setting up my planted tropical tank as a beginner. It's well illustrated and has some good tips. The coverage on plants is particularly helpful if you're looking to set up a planted tank.

The content does have some gaps, but it is simply impossible in a start up book to cover every fish and plant. I think this does enough to get you started.
on 27 May 2014
I'm new to fish keeping. Bought this book and it really helped me to set up the tank, understand fish needs and continuing having healthy fish. The book teaches you step by step with a lot of pictures and easy to understand information. Would recommend to anyone like me. It's a good price compare to book shops.