Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 June 2003
Of all the books I read to my children when they were small, this was the one that left the greatest mark.
Why? Because it has wicked twist in its tail, which was probably lost on the kids, but had me rolling on the floor.
A short snappy tale, imaginatively illustrated - the battle scene is great! - with a punch line that I have never forgotten.
And please - do not turn to the last page until you have read all that has gone before!
on 10 March 2007
This is a classic picture book that is really useful for introducing ideas such as prejudice, racism and tolerance. My old version is almost falling apart after years of sharing with many classes of children (of all ages) and I'm delighted that it is available again. I'm even of thinking of buying two copies so I always have one good copy!
on 27 March 2009
An excellent book to introduce racism, intolerance, prejudice and injustice to children and teenagers. I work with Year 6 children (10-11 years old) and this is a text that is a valuable starting point.

Picture books can be perfect for young children but there are many that are far more sophisticated and that tackle much weighter issues than a 3 or 4 year old needs to have shared with them.

Picture books aren't just for infants!
on 14 January 2015
My nursery children and staff love this book, the children ask for it to be read repeatedly. A good story with a moral.
on 2 October 2014
Perfect for teaching all ages about the human propensity for prejudice.
on 15 June 2015
Just what I needed for school
on 30 October 2014
Excellent .many thanks
on 16 December 2013
This had been recommended as of value for children to be made aware of diversity. Can find nothing to recommend it for an infant aged child. Amazed that david McKee would produce something like this.
on 6 September 2012
It's a good book to educate children with but at a glance it looks like it's suitable for around 4yrs old. I think it too heavier subject to be dealing with for that age, let them just enjoy life! It'd be better if the text was aimed at older kids who can discuss the message. The end is sad an implies there is no hope for peace rather than teaching children how to make things better
on 25 December 2007
Not impressed. My 3 year old recieved it and I must say, it was a bit strong for her age group. I think the twist at the end was a bit sad and seems to suggest that there will never be peace. Its a shame they couldn't remove the last page.