Customer reviews

on 1 May 2017
If your child/ grandchild is struggling to find books as gripping as Harry Potter - I recommend this set of books . My 10 yr old grandson is riveted. Exciting and full of interesting facts about the Roman era.
One person found this helpful
on 9 January 2018
My 8 year old really enjoyed this book and read it during his topic on the Romans in Year 4.
on 11 November 2014
A wonderful way to hold children's attention while teaching them important lessons from Roman history.
on 5 March 2016
Granddaughter loves it
on 8 September 2015
Good book, recommended.
on 15 March 2015
Great series. Well worth a read for any age
on 11 November 2013
My daughter adored this series and knows more than me about the Romans and all other ancient civilizations now. A real good read for a child. Amusing her, she read it many times over.
on 27 September 2015
An exciting read
on 10 February 2014
One of my favourites, this is one for all who love Egypt. Despite not having an actual mystery in my books, Scribes makes up for it by the riddles, which, I am very proud to say, could actually solve. (Just one, but I'm bad at riddles.) The scenes with Nubia and Chryses were cute, the new characters were fun and likable, and the ending was hilarious. As Jonathan would say 'these Egyptians are crazy'. I loved Lawrence's continued attention to detail and how Egypt came to life, and her tour around Alexandria. Those who like Rome, kid detectives and Egypt under Roman rule will like it, but perhaps read the previous books to get some background.
on 5 June 2011
This is the first Caroline Lawrence book I've read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The characters are engaging - I particularly liked the scribes - and the story moves along at a good lick: but what I most enjoyed was the way it takes you right into a far-distant world. CL seems to be completely at ease here; every detail rings true. Am full of admiration for the amount of research she must have done, and the ease with which the book wears it.