on 2 September 2008
Another unmissable episode in the story of Torak and his "pack"! I agree with the other reviewer that the stories are getting darker with each book, as Torak goes through his adolescent rites of passage, and much sadder too, in line with the overall series name - "Chronicles of Ancient Darkness". I can imagine my youngest son, who is 9 and yet to read "Oathbreaker"(ha! ha! I got first dibs!!), becoming quite upset, as the plot for this story not only introduces us to new characters, but says goodbye to someone very important to Torak. Michelle Paver also reveals more of Torak's history and that of his parents, with some heartbreaking revelations. It is exciting and full of tension as Torak faces yet another threat to his and his friends security, and reluctantly acknowledges his destiny. He is also growing up, and has to learn to control all the raging emotions within him. Renn too is maturing and Torak feels a frisson of attraction between them as their bonds of friendship deepen. I can't wait for the final installment, although I will freely admit that I will be very sad to say goodbye to these characters. Great stuff!
on 6 October 2008
When I first read Wolf Brother, I thought WOW, this is seriously good. I've collected and read all the books since, and I'm over halfway through Oathbreaker. And it's brilliant.

I'll try not to give out too many spoilers, but this is one of the darkest installments so far, with Torak desperate for revenge after one of his closest friends is murdered by the Soul-Eaters. There's no hanging around in the story, already there's a huge amount of action before you've even finished the second chapter. The Deep Forest is also beautifully described in great detail, plus the character's emotions have become far more complex and it's easier to feel strong sympathy or hate towards them.

If you liked the first four, you'll definitely love this one. It has to be the must-have book of 2008.
on 9 February 2016
I started reading this series to my 7 & 10 year olds, but even though I was hooked, the boys found it scary (the evil demon stuff)
So, I think i would recommend this for young teenagers instead
I loved it (ordered and finished the series for myself)
on 24 September 2009
Yes, the basic plot is similar to the other stories - Torak gets in trouble & Renn helps him, they track another Soul Hunter. But the "filling" is what I enjoy - so five stars definitely. This is a very unusual genre for children's books and I don't think anyone has used this "ancient man" theme since "Stigg of the Dump". And the anthropological study of ancient human culture is excellent. Also, Torak and Renn are excellent survivors, living off of natures resources. Fans of "Ray Meers" might enjoy this also. I like the style of writing, as the narration switches between wolf and his human counterparts. I like the way that wolf says "there is no 'wolf word' " for the feeling that Torak has, - as Torak wants 'revenge', emphasising the difference between man and wolf. A good book for sophisticated readers of the 9-12 age group. For adults like me who also enjoy these stories, they might like to read some of the academic source books about shamanism by Mircea Eliade Rites and Symbols of Initiation: The Mysteries of Birth and Rebirth,Myth of the Eternal Return: Cosmos and History (Works of Mircea Eliade).
on 31 August 2008
After another year of waiting, the fifth book in the Chronicle of Ancient Darkness series is finally out.

Despite my age I devour good quality children's books and Michelle Paver is one of a few good writers serving our literature needs. I have followed Torak, Wolf and Renn from the very beginning and so it was an absolute certainty that a copy of the book come into my possession quickly.

As Michelle Paver continues towards the climax of the series we find 15 year old Torak swearing an oath of vengeance against a Soul Eater who has killed his friend, just as a war between the clans of the Forest looms.

As Torak, Renn and Fin Keddin travel into the deep forest unaware of the war that is brewing, the remaining Soul Eaters come out of the darkness and make their presence felt leaving Torak and Renn to complete the journey. Ultimately Torak steps into the fire alone to confront the enemy of his father without Wolf and his side.

Michelle unravels more of Toraks' background in this volume joining the dots of his father and mothers role in the unfolding events and exposing more of the bigger picture that is the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness.

Like with JK Rowling I find that Michelle Paver has turned her series darker, that is not to say that I did not enjoy the book but her earlier books are, to me, far more enjoyable.

I read to enjoy and enjoy to read
David
on 30 January 2013
An emotional rollercoaster of a read. The writing is superb. I have read all the books in the series and they do not disappoint. The character descriptions are brilliant and you feel as if you are there with Torak and Renn. The ending made me cry!
on 3 September 2013
This is the part of the chronicles of ancient darkness series. The story is bought vividly to life by Ian McKellen, who reads this with such passin and enthusiam its just wonderful to listen to. I have now listened to thw whole series on CD and I can honestly say that for me they might even beat Harry Potter! They are brilliant to listen to, and at the end of the series I felt a little like I was loosing a ear friend, so vivid and real had the characters been.

This particular book deals with the theme of revenge and loyalty. Definetly worth a listen.
on 16 February 2013
I have loved this series of books since I first opened Wolf Brother in 2004. Michelle Paver's beautiful writing creates an ancient world that instantly draws you in and makes you believe in it so much you can almost feel the breeze and hear the Forest leaves rustling around you.

I love her detail. She has obviously done a lot of research and truly immersed herself in the world of post-ice age Europe and this reflects in every single line of the book. You can tell she has spent days at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust watching how the wolves move and act around each other, you can tell she's visited Polish forests untouched by human hands and all of that adds up to make these some of the best young teen novels I have ever read in terms of world building and realism.

Her characters are brilliant also. Surprisingly easy to relate to despite living lives so different from our own, just a few pages in it feels `normal' to leave a scrap of food in a tree fork as a `thank you' to the Forest for providing or making sure your bow is carefully oiled and always ready to use. Torak is strong-willed and one of my favourite characters in any book, partly because of his close relationship to Wolf and partly because he is so very human in his doubts, passion and fears.

The story is fast paced and exciting, keeping you turning the pages long after you should have switched off the light and gone to sleep or stopped reading to do your homework.

There is nothing I can come up with to dislike. Which means Michelle must be doing something very right indeed.

All I can say, is I can't wait to read Ghost Hunter - the final instalment of the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness.
This is the penultimate volume in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. My son and I have been reading these since the spring, and we just love them. This is no exception. It is thrilling, beautifully written, gripping and fantastically plotted. It's only when you get as far into the series as this that you can appreciate how Paver has woven all the strands of the story together so meticulously and the patterns of the whole sequence emerge. It's a joy to read, and we cannot wait to read the last book.
on 14 January 2015
This book is a heart-warming pleasure to read yet somewhat ruthless and viciouse. A perfect concoction of stunning words and a realistic atmosphere. Both fear and unexpected lunges out from every amazing word. I love ALL of these books, and I wish Michelle Paved would do another after Ghost Hunter...