on 27 February 2018
Wolf Brother and the full series of book is really fantastic. While it's a young adult genre I read this in my 40s and since introduced it to all my children. It is a great adventure but also brings us back to respecting the Earth and the animals we need for food. There is a wonderful relationship between Torak and his wolf "brother" and they are called upon to challenge the evil that is invading their lands. This takes them on a magical, supernatural and nail-biting adventure where we meet more of the tribes that live in this world.
on 16 August 2016
I have listened to all of the six books with AudioBook cds, and can truthfully say I wish it had 10 volumes!
I'm 40 and an avid Wolf Lover aswell as being a fan of Michelle Pavers books, but this is outstanding.
It delves deeply back to a time before civilisation and technology, it is told from Toraks pov and Wolfs pov, then later others.
It's addictive and as with all adventure books it has thrills, nail biting moments, and moment that bring you to tears.
I have since buying them listened to them all again after a few yrs and had forgotten some, as an AudioBook preferred method I must say my praise to the wonderful Sir Ian McKellen who narrates the rich story told in these chronicles
on 28 October 2011
I've had a pretty little signed edition of this for a while now that I got second hand from Amazon and I love it to bits, but didn't get around to reading until about three weeks ago. I really really liked this, lots!!!
In a world of vampires, werewolves and other evil yet romantically inclined creatures of the night, it made a refreshing change to be in such an ancient and raw world.
So without any further ado here is a brief synopsis for those a little curious:

"Six thousand years ago. Evil stalks the land. Only twelve-year-old Torak and his wolf-cub companion can defeat it. Their journey together takes them through deep forests, across giant glaciers, and into dangers they never imagined.
In this page-turning, original, and spectacularly told adventure story, Torak and Wolf are joined by an incredible cast of characters as they battle to save their world, in this first book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness."
For a book aimed at children this is one scary book! Not in a disgusting gross zombie way, but in a creepy, heart stopping, 'BOO!' way. The tension at times is incredible and I felt myself looking around me in-case I was being watched by evil spirits etc (you know, as you do when it's late at night and your reading about possession).
All that aside though this is a thrilling adventure novel that becomes race against time to save the world from some seriously potential evil and the scene was so well described I could clearly picture Torak and the wolf struggling to stay alive against all odds, and how awesome is a book that tries to see things from a wolf's point of view in certain chapters?
I have to admit that on some parts of the journey i was left holding my breath waiting to see what happened next, particularly when it came to the bear stalking both Torak, Renn and the wolf it was scarier than most horror novels I've read, and things got pretty tense. I think what makes this book so amazing, isn't just the quality of the writing and adventure but it's contrast to the world we live in. It seems crazy in comparison that today we see it as a tragedy if we don't get chocolate when 6000 years ago you had to hunt or be hunted.

It was the characters however, that really stole the show. Torak is admirably brave and the way he continues on the quest his father sent him on, despite his misgivings, demonstrated how loyal he was too. Renn was pretty incredible too although she did annoy me at first, but as the novel progressed she grew on me and I really came to like her. And as for wolf? man that little cub is so adorable and brave :-D

If your looking for a book of adventure, good vs evil and with some magical/mystical legend mixed in this is most definitely the book for you and I would recommend this to everyone out there. If it's on your to-read pile and you haven't read it yet...why not?
on 2 June 2015
Bought for a 10 year old boy who is quite an able reader with good comprehension- currently in yr5 reading at level 5b. He loves this series. He's into fantasy like Lord of the Rings, Garth Nix, even Beast Quest, which is really aimed at younger readers. So if you know someone interested in that genre- these may well be worth a read. The writing is fairly small on the page- it's just the way it is- no issue.
A really good series.
on 13 June 2017
My son says: "I loved this book - some parts were a bit tricky for me as I'm 8 - but its still great and I'm going to buy the next one."
on 28 February 2014
Whilst brousding during the books on display in a charity shop I came across "outcast" part of the series of "Chronicles of ancient darkness" At first I was attracted by the exteriour of the book but WOW what a find! when I began reading it. Since then I have purchased the whole set [6] of these books, the avbove beeing obne. These books are supposed to be for children but they are equally valuable for adults. So what is it about these books? They take us back to the time wben we are at one or at least close to nature. A time when we lknew how to communicate and respect all living things.In tose early days we knew how to live fgrom what earth provided for us and we lived in hazrmony. And the magic of it all. Even rocks come alive and had a soul. And then, of course the harmony with our co-existing animals who, when treated with respect, were not our enemies. In fact, the wolf becomes our friend and brother provided that he is not hunted. A wonderful deries of bnooks full of natural mystery [it still exists but, sadly, we have lost it] and suspense. There is nothing childish about these books. They are suitable for adults [if they still believe in magic] and children alike. I just widh the series was more than just 6 books.
on 3 September 2013
This is the first book in a series which in my opinion rivals the grea Harry Potter. In fairness it has many similarites (young people fighting darkness together and learning valuable lessons as they grow up). Instead of being set in the world od wizardry and magic, they are set in the equally magical world of ancient europe, with its different clans and beliefs.

Ian McKellen reads the book in such a way that the charactrs spring to life and you can almost smell the forest amongst you. From this first book I was hooked, and as the series of 6 books progresses they just get better and better.

Buy the book, but the audio version wins hands down for me. I was able to listen whilst doing housework and driving etc. I actually started to look forward to the washing up as i could treat myself to an extra chapter or two...

Give it a go and I guarantee you'll be hooked! It would also be great for familes (with Junior / senior school aged children ) to listen to together.
on 28 January 2016
A big fan of this series - different to a lot of children books out there as it focuses on very early civilisation. The main character has a very good relationship with a wolf and their bond is enviable. Torak is a great, believable character that lots of boys will want to be like. It is very believable and well researched.
on 22 February 2017
I found this stone-age fantasy quite readable but rather insubstantial. Too many aspects of the story are glossed and the characters have no depth. In the end, the adventure is just too easy: there is a lot of superficial hardship but no real sense of the difficulty overcoming it.
on 19 March 2017
I enjoyed the linguistic simplicity of this book and felt that it kept moving at a good pace. It feels believable of how the ancients may have thought and what they understood of the world. I especially enjoyed wolfs though processes and interactions with total.