Format: Paperback|Change

on 11 April 2006
I would like to compliment Michelle Paver for her fantastic books. Just as the papers say 'it is a book you long to read, yet rarely find.' I find the storytelling amazing and truly compulsive I just can't wait for the next one to come out and maybe many more. The only problem that I have had with these books, is because they are so good, I want to savour them, so that the book never ends, but I just can't put the book down!
I finished the second one in less that a day and I was full of emotions. About the story and the fact that I've already read it. I know I'll read these books over and over again, and give them to my children.
I think I love these books so much because I have often dreamt of a much simpler world where global warming is not a problem and people live happy and simple lives. Yet these books, make it so much more than that. I also love animals a lot especially dogs and wolf reminds me of my dog. I also find it unbelievable that you can merge in this old life and bring demons and magecraft etc. so well. It is truly astounding!
Last but definately not least, I find the books so well written and everything is so good;
the description
the direct speech
the story itself
the way it is told through wolf;
the great wet, the Up, Tall Tailless, The Bright Beast that bites hot.
the way it is so realistic

And i simply love the style of pictures and the front cover, the map is brilliant; it lets you see what is really happening.
Please don't stop writing I just want them to go on forever!!!
With lots of love and compliments about your books.
Thank-you so much for writing them.
Alison - 13 - Scotland
on 25 October 2006
In Soul Eater, the 3rd book in the Chronicles of Ancient darkness, Torak is faced with a new challenge as Renn,his companion wolf and himself set out to the desolate far north to find the soul-eaters, a group of powerful mages who plan to rule the forest using souls, and demons. I enjoyed reading this - you were always on the edge on what would happen next. We also get to know another Clan of the far north - the white fox clan. Torak feels - not for the first time in his life - what it's like to lose someone or something very special to him, as the Soul-eaters capture wolf for a desperate sacrifice. The ending is a brilliant cliffhanger for the next book - Outcast!
on 1 September 2006
SOUL EATER is by far the best book in the series and some aspects of the book set you up for Bk 4, OUTCAST (published 2007).

It starts with an amazing kidnap of nine animals that have a significance and then leades on to threaten the future of the Forest and the rest of the world.

Yet again, Torak must foil the plans of the Soul-Eaters and save a friend in need.

We meet the Ice Clans of the Far North and we finally get a glance of ALL of the living Soul-Eaters. Believe me, they're great!

The title of the book becomes clear later on and there is a twist involving Torak! Enough said.

I attended the UK Launch on 30th August 2006 and Michelle said, that at the end of this book, you should be able to guess why the next book is titled OUTCAST and that she recently finished writting a part of OUTCAST where Torak and the readers meet the Wolf Clan for the first time. She said it isn't what Torak expects.

All in all, I say bring on OUTCAST!
on 13 October 2006
I gulped it up in less than two days. It is still extremely well written, exciting and just drop-dead-brilliant. I love it to pieces!

Wolf and Torak has just been re-united since their parting in Wolf Brother, and their terror in Spirit Walker. But danger is lurking behind every bush, and Wolf is taken captive by the evil Soul Eaters and dragged off to the icy north. Where mother nature rules with a harsh and unforgiving hand. Can they save Wolf? And what mayheme are the soul eaters up to this time? Is Torak grown enough to fight them, as is his destiny?

Another thrilling adventure. I cant wait for Outcast to arrive..... I wish it was here already!
Soul Eater is the third book in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series. Wolf aka pack-brother has been kidnapped and Torak and Renn set out to find him. As they begin their journey to find wolf, Torak takes a `spirit journey', in the form of a raven, and discovers that the Soul Eaters have captured Wolf. They follow Wolf's kidnappers to the Far North - without giving spoilers they find that there is a whole lot more going on than they could have imagined. The narrative is just as enthralling as the first two books in the series; the reader gets a real feel for the kingship between the main characters. The framework, which the author sets, of the cold wastelands of the north only goes on to reinforce the dark nature of the tale that is being told. For me the series just seems to go from strength to strength. What is great about this book is the cross-generational appeal it has.
on 23 July 2015
I love this Chronicle of Ancient Darkness series. It is exciting, well written, original, interesting and has great characters and story lines. This book, although actually not one of my favourite books of the series, is a great follow on to Spirit Walker and I was really excited to read it. I am a 22 year old girl and I think these books appeal to such a range of ages and both genders.
My seven year old son and I are reading these books together, and we absolutely love them. This is the third in the series known as The ancient chronicles, and they just get better and better.

This tells the story of Wolf's kidnap and how Torak and Renn are forced to track him across the frozen northern wastes to the strong hold of the soul eaters.

It is a proper page turner and with every book we care more and more about the characters of Renn and Torak.
on 9 August 2015
This is the third book in a really great set of children's novels. As a school teacher I used a chapter out of the first book in an english lesson for 10-11 year olds as an example of how to write a character description using indirect techniques, instead of just a list of characteristics. Michelle Paver is a class author, she is prolific for sure, but this does not detract from the quality of her writing. I found her work to be far more than just an example of good writing techniques to share with my class. I read the whole series, as did many of my students, having been hooked by the first chapter of the first book.
I would highly recommend this book (together with the rest of the series) to any child or parent who desires to read enjoyable and page turning writing of a very high literary standard.
on 12 June 2006
soul eater is in my opinion, the best book in the series so far. It starts with a kidnapping, which ends up threatening the entire forest. i won't say who or it will ruin it for everyone.

All i can say is that it is a brilliant book and am looking forward to Outcast. Keep on writing, Michelle Paver!!!
VINE VOICEon 20 April 2007
I enjoyed Wolf Brother but hated Spirit Walker and I was weary that this entry in the Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series was going to be just as meandering and slow. Fortunately it's not and it's just as good as the first book.

Wolf is kidnapped by the evil Soul Eaters so Torak and Renn must chase after them into The Far North to rescue him. Their chase brings them to the Eye of the Viper, a cave deep, deep in a mountain where the Soul Eaters have made their lair and intend to sacrifice 9 hunters to unleash demon hoardes under their control upon the world.

The mythology is getting a tad out of hand though. I don't know whether these forest people simply don't understand science and physics and mistake everything for fate, miracles and magic or if it's just their ancient point of view trying to make sense of it. That complaint aside, it's a good book that you'll not want to put down until you've finished it. It's way more fast moving than Spirit Walker and brings the COAD series back on track.