Customer reviews

on 12 February 2010
I have been a fan of Michael Gorman since reading his outstanding book "Cruciformity" (Eerdmans). It was one of the few books on Paul I have read where I felt that I was actually gaining all sorts of completely new insights. The problem was that it was a long and technical book. I longed for Gorman to do a bite sized outline of his 'take' on Paul.

This is it! And the rest! The chapters are very clear and refreshingly short and his vision of Paul is really exciting and enlightening. Gorman has shown himself to be not merely an outstanding scholar but also someone able to communicate such insights to ordinary, thoughtful, non-scholarly types.

This is, without a shadow of doubt, the best introduction to Paul's theology I have ever seen.
3 people found this helpful
on 10 April 2014
This is an overview so cannot deal with all the issues but as a depiction of Paul's spiritual logic it is brilliant. I stumbled across this book when writing an essay on Paul and have not looked back and since have read some of Gorman's other more in depth books which are also great wells of insight.

His perspective is very coherent and is the best fit of anything i've read on Paul.

Read it and see...
One person found this helpful
on 22 November 2009
Don't get me wrong; this book is informative and worthy. But it's very very dull. Part of the problem - perhaps the whole problem - is that the author seems unclear as to where he is 'pitching' the book. In certain respects it is clearly aimed at the layman seeking an introduction to the theology of Paul; yet the style is prosaically academic. In certain respects it seems to want to be authoritative, but the depth to support this is lacking. And am I the only person who loathes "study questions" at the end of chapters in books like this? They seem to indicate the author saying "See how much cleverer I am than you. But at least you can learn from me."
All that said, the analysis of Paul's theology is sound and hits all the main points. For anyone starting out in understanding Paul this may be a useful starting point. Anyone who starts here, though, should be sure to read widely enough to be informed of the various controversies that surround Paul's letters and which this volume rather glosses over.
One person found this helpful