Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 November 2014
Christina McKenna is a special writer. It was her first book the memoir "My Mother Wore a Yellow Dress than convinced me of the reality of the paranormal and therefore I approached this book with no doubt in my mind that it was thoroughly researched and not sensationalised in any way. This is a frank and detailed account of the reality of paranormal activity in modern Ireland.
on 17 May 2017
Well researched good read
on 21 October 2010
"Ireland`s Haunted Women" is no ordinary book dealing with the paranormal.It is a series of compelling witness testimonies of ordeals few of us would want to experience.The stories within, the author comments, have never been recorded for a public forum.If you have ever been like me, a sceptic of the paranormal, then the contents of this book should cause you to reconsider your views. For these are the stories of ordinary women and children who have had the dark and mysterious visited upon them. The author, Christina Mc Kenna, cleverly presents each story with an important preamble- to set the scene-and then the "victims" tell their stories in a written conversational style.The graphic details of each account is spine chilling and the apparitions of the entities certainly left me uneasy, to say the least. After each shocking narrative, the author, whom I believe to be an experienced investigator also, is non judgemental and non sensationalist in her closing remarks; rather she leaves the conclusion(if that is possible), to the reader's discretion.If I must single out two stories as references to my remarks above, they would be, "Edel Delahant and the family Poltergeist" and "Strange goings-on in the attic. Read them and you will know WHY.
I would advise the reader to read the introduction and during the reading to check the notes commencing on page 239 for explanations.
Great credit must go to the personages who volunteered to relive these shocking experiences. However, I am sure this would not have been possible had they not trusted Christina Mc Kenna implicitly with such intimate happenings.
There is no paucity of "events" in this book nor, indeed, exploitation of persons. This book makes for compelling reading -my book of the year.
on 5 May 2011
I found this book to be really gripping. Once I started reading I couldn't put it down. The author has written 10 very different stories dealing with the paranormal. Each story was thought provoking and a very chilling read. I find that the events in each each of these stories have been portrayed very well to the reader and you feel the author has built up a very good rapport with these individuals. This book left me in no doubt that paranormal activity exists and is very alive in Ireland. I thoroughly recommend this book.
on 26 April 2016
Not as good as I hoped and very expensive for what it was