Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 January 2015
It was just dull and uninspiring. Trying to reflect on what I had read I couldn't find anything to say.
on 9 May 2009
Contrary to other reviewers, this is the very first book ever I've read about Napoleon. So who am I to say it's the perfect introduction you'll ask? Well, although I'll readily grant there's perhaps sloppy research involved (I wouldn't know really), I definitely had the sense that, in less than 200 pages, this book gave me a very good outline of the man and his achievements and failures.

Is it biased? It probably is. But then again, which book about Napoleon isn't? He's probably one of those people you're either (ardently) for or (obstinately) against. Johnson paints the whole story in broad strokes, but that is to me precisely the merit of this book. If you're interested in the minutae of a particular campaign or aspect of this complex man, this is not the book for you. If, as me, you're looking for a short introduction I found that was exactly what I got. It's short, written in a very clear and fluent style, and above all: it gave me a desire to read other books on Napoleon and his era. Surely that's a good thing?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 December 2015
sensible life of naopleon, from an Englishman's point of view.
on 9 March 2011
It is a long time since having read about the French revolution and its most prominent survivor. The book is critical and convincingly likens Napoleon to later military people of note i.e. Hitler and Stalin, though it is always stated that militarily he was much higher than the latter despite a reliance on antiquated techniques which served him very well in the early campaigns. His skill as a statesman left much to be desired and his need to be a superman led to his ultimate downfall.

Concise and dispassionate I would recommend this to anyone
on 21 December 2014
Product was received brand new condition.
on 23 June 2003
Excellent biography. Without crushing with dates, names and numbers;
it gives the sufficient ones to justify his portrait of the personage.
It is not limited in describing the person but it relates,
with historical perspective, its incidence in the last two centuries.
The author has known to come off itself the political propaganda that
Napoleon surrounded its empire, and that France has continued
maintaining.
We are not before a freedom paladin but before the first
promoter of the totalitarianism of the modern times.
on 13 November 2015
A 1.
on 18 March 2010
I am surprised by the negative reviews of other readers. True this book is short and not a Napoleonic chronicle but it makes no pretence at being anything other than a brief overview of Bonaparte's life.

There are too many great tomes out there on Bonaparte that bog the reader down with overwhelming and ubiquitous detail. The book provides the basics, explains the Emperor's rise and fall, while giving enough insight into his personal life.

Enjoy!