Customer reviews

Islam: A Short History (UNIVERSAL HISTORY)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 June 2017
Let's face it; either you dig it or you do not.
on 24 March 2017
It was very ok
on 10 October 2014
Stop wingeing about Muslims and start trying to understand them. Yeah that might be corny but if we don't we are all gonna die horribly in an endless war.
This woman is a very good writer with excellent credentials.
Islam's history is incredibly complex (no surprise, surely) but at least this short work has given me a handle on some of the main periods and branches.
on 23 June 2013
This is a brief spiritual and political history of Islam from the earliest times to the present day. It manages to pack in an enormous amount of information, but without being a dry catalogue of facts.
on 19 October 2013
Good....as it says a concise but comprehensive history of Islam .... many interesting observations, fascinating, thought provoking.. and rewarding .
on 3 March 2014
This book is an easy to read book and gives a balanced view in these troubled times. I can recommend it.
on 22 January 2013
I found this book very interesting re. Karen Armstrong's perspective on this subject. Without prejudice she gives the reader plenty to ponder on.
on 20 December 2013
Karen Armstrong is an honest spiritual person who does not hesitate in expressing her appreciation of good a man or a good religion when she finds about it.
on 30 August 2001
Islam is a religion of many cultures and traditions spread over more then 1400 years in time. And for an out sider (as I assume Karen to be), she seems to have a vast amount of knowledge on the subject.
The book is written in a very approachable manner and would be understandable to even the beginners. But having said that, there are so many details covered in this one book (even if as brief references) that I couldn't help but admire the effort put into her work. I started off not expecting too much (thinking I know it all any way), but ended up finding so much new stuff and refreshing what I knew before to be true. And the best thing was that it gives us a different prospective of things. It makes us think about things we usually take as a given (either for religious or social reasons), hence closing our minds to them. Also makes us think logically about historical facts we believe to be true but usually tend to look at them just from a religious view point and hence not being able to appreciate them to the full.
So all in all, I very much recommend this book to any one who would like to study the fastest growing religion in the world. It takes away a lot of stereo types about Islam (and made me want to further study a lot of personalities and events mentioned in this book.) and brings things into prospective.
Enjoy!!!
on 21 August 2005
This is a very readable book which I highly recomend to anyone who is intrested in but has little knowledge of the islamic world and its history. With its pleasant style and useful glosary of araboc terms is a very enjoyable and intresting read. However while Armstrong deals excellently with the early history of islam her section on modern islamic politics tends to lose objectivity and presents evidence to support her ideas ignoring other factors and explanations. I found it also a little hard to follow the sucession of the various monarchs discussed as there is no list to aid the reader.
Despite these problems this a deeply well written and informative book. I took this book out of the library and Iam considering buying a copy, Its just that good.