Customer reviews

Steal You Away
Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 March 2014
Like other reviewers, I also read this a couple of years ago, and have never forgotten it. Interweaving the truly comic (there are some great laugh out loud moments) Gypsy Kinds crazed macho on the make, with the life of a tragic but beautifully realised tragic schoolboy, and that of his teacher, we enjoy the vivid depiction of small town life as we laugh along with their foibles, only to be stopped dead in our tracks by the ending which, far from gratuitous, underlines the seriousness of some of the trials of everyday life.
on 29 October 2016
I didn't have much of a clue what this book would contain, but, my goodness I have been blown away by the intensity of the content and what it contained. Bullying, strength, women, relationships, drugs, sex and much more. How we evolve and take our place in this fragile world. I also love the way this author writes, a real treasure trove of a book.
on 30 July 2008
I have to spread the Ammaniti love. If you like this, try Branchie (Gills) & Fango (Mud) if they're available in translation. Ammaniti's latest novel Come Dio Commanda (bizarrely translated into "The Crossroads") is also awesome. Soon to be made into a film. Can't wait.
on 15 April 2010
This book is really good. It's funny, gripping, tragic and atmospheric. Best I've read this year! The main characters are great and you never know where the twists and turns are going to take you. I want to read more by this author!
on 15 November 2015
Super book - a page turner as they say. Ammaniti is great.
on 7 June 2016
Lovely story, very good holiday read!
on 16 August 2006
I loved I'm Not Scared by the same author and really enjoyed it, so I thought i'd give this a try. It's a completely different type of story to his 'I'm Not Scared' but it's still a brilliant read. I will look forward to the next novel.