on 1 September 2015
We had a chapter of this given us in a Creative Writing class - so I bought the book. The excerpt was the first chapter, which is the best. The second starts with a false premise which a very brief conversation with a scientist would have inverted - every alternate chapter continues the same chapter title. Actually turns out that even when scientifically inverted the literary conclusion is true.
HINT: blue light travels further because it gets lost.
on 3 August 2017
Somewhat peculiar. However, this contains some stimulating writing about getting lost geographically and metaphorically. I have annotated some pages to return to an ponder upon. Worth devoting a rainy afternoon to.
on 10 May 2016
I've always thought of being lost as being a fairly straight and narrow concept. But this book made me realise how it can have so many meanings - Solnit's ideas about being lost ripple out into so many alleys and paths, and it was a delight to follow them. The writing is beautiful to read - not a word is wasted. Lovely lovely lovely stuff.
on 3 June 2017
Haunting, evocative of a bygone era and the present simultaneously, tackling several layers of existence, erudite, and entertaining all at once.
on 19 August 2016
Interesting exploration about the experience of getting lost.Far from being a totally negative experience Solnit suggests that we haven't truly lived unless we experience being disorientated . She draws on a wide variety of sources literature,philosophy. All in all a good read .Makes me want to read more of her work particularly on HOPE
on 2 February 2017
Really brilliant book, so beautifully written and speaks volumes.
on 26 June 2016
Such a wonderful inquiry concerning the many different forms of lost one can feel. Every chapter is a cobweb of little stories opening the mind for new perspectives, working well both as a book to be consumed in one sitting or as an experience stretched over multiple days.
on 23 December 2016
Wasn't quite what I expected and didn't end up reading it to the end as I wasn't enjoying the book after reading nearly half of it. No discredit to the author just wasn't my type of book
on 17 July 2016
arrived on time..... loved it.
on 22 October 2015
I live in Ireland and come from the States. Solnitt's book is perceptive, well researched and written. So many things she experienced have happened to ME, it truly made me smile and keep reading.