Format: Paperback|Change

on 29 January 2007
After having ordered this item off Amazon, I read the blurb and I seriously thought I'd made a wrong decision in ordering it because although I tend to like most books I read, I'm only sixteen and I was in need of something light to read, not something about a struggling twenty-five year old.

After reading the first couple of lines, however, I was hooked on to it and now I am in need of something similar to read.

This is definitely one of the best books I've ever read.
Because it made me re-believe.
In trees, and bikes and in people.

It's simple. Nothing too bad happens. Nothing too exciting.
It's real.
It's everything we're short of in today's society.
44 comments| 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 February 2008
This book sums up how everyone feels at one point in their life. It's a "what the hell am I doing here?" book, but unlike other books where the hero is some obnoxious idiot who has everything and is still not satisfied, the (unlikely but completely lovable) hero of this book is an average, intelligent man who wants to find some meaning in his life.
I finished this book in a matter of hours after purchasing it and will definitely come back to it.
It's very reassuring and really entertainly written. There's a fantastic little twist at the end as well which had me smiling for ages.
A little gem of a novel. Read it and fall in love with it.
on 25 November 2002
Unfortunately, it is want of some people to always want to compare books to others they like or appreciate. While this works well sometimes, I feel that comparisons tend not to do "Naive. Super" much justice at all. It is completely unique. I do not remember reading a book quite so fresh. Erlend Loe's childlike narrative voice is spiritual. It make you yearn for the immediacy and wonder that many attribute to the years of childhood.
Indeed, the "story" is really secondary. When I first read the description of what happens in the book, it sounded interesting but perhaps a little derivative. Not until you read this brief, delightful book - and I so recommend that you do - will you realise that it is only the descriptions of the book that are derivative. One of the best books I have read this year, without a doubt.
on 8 July 2001
Naive. Super is both naive and super, but the super should come first. In a bid to find a reason for living the 25 yr old narrator quits his MA course and travels to New York recounting everything he sees around him in minute detail. Obsessed by time and by space, Loe's deceptively simple prose style is a highly original study into human behaviour and the complications of the soul. A yearning to get to the bottom of life and the best route to live it results as funny, sad, exciting and deeply poignant on each and every page. Naive. Super is Adrian Mole for the cool.
This is a strange little book, written in very flat prose. It doesn't really hang together as a novel as each chapter is more of a short vignette about the life of our anonymous (until the final page) narrator. Although curiously engaging nothing really happens, apart from our "hero" writes a lot of lists, searches for authors with rude names on a library computer (there must be about twenty pages of the resultant search data reproduced towards the end, the joke being that each page has a rude word written on it apparently by hand), goes to New York about two thirds of the way through, and also buys one of those hammer and peg toys you probably had as a child. Not a lot else happens. By the end I found it inconsequential and, as I turned the last few pages, disappointing, with the words "is that it?" going through my mind. Enjoyable as a bit of a curiosity, but a disappointment for me as I'd wanted to read it for a long time.
on 25 March 2008
I haven't read this book for about 5 years. In fact, when pushed to think about it, I'm not even entirely sure which bookshelf this book is currently residing on. It may even be in the overflow book park in the loft. But it was brought to mind this morning by something I was reading about Nordic literature in translation, and I suddenly remembered how much I had loved this book.

Here's the Amazon blurb:

"Troubled by an inability to find any meaning in his life, the 25-year-old narrator of this deceptively simple novel quits university and eventually arrives at his brother's New York apartment. In a bid to discover what life is all about, he writes lists. He becomes obsessed by time and whether it actually matters. He faxes his meteorologist friend. He endlessly bounces a ball against the wall. He befriends a small boy who lives next door. He yearns to get to the bottom of life and how best to live it. Funny, friendly, enigmatic and frequently poignant - superbly naive."

And it was deceptively simple. I remember it leaving me utterly sleepless the night that I stayed up into the wee small hours to devour it one sitting. I lay there thinking up my own lists, and wondering whatever happened to this girl I had known a couple of years before who had gone away to university to read meterology. I idly pondered figuring out a way to get in touch with her again so that I can ask my own meaningful questions. I never did work out how to find her. I couldn't remember her surname, other than the fact that it was Italian.

Chi, if you're out there, hello.

It must be a good sign that years after reading Naive. Super I still remember so much about it, and remember it so fondly. I think it might be time to find it in the piles at home, and give it another read.
on 25 December 2002
The narrator of this story is a 20-something, and with the use of simple sentences and his naive/childlike take on the world around him, gains him a certain empathy from the reader that makes this book a joy to read.
the story concerns the narrator and his attempts to figure out 'what it's all about'. It takes in a trip to new york, making new friends, sorting out his love life, a hammer and peg, and trying to understand the theory of relativity.
at times sad, at times laugh out loud funny yet always beautifully written...a must read.
on 29 December 2013
It may be that I am too simple minded to really appreciate this book. Nothing much happens. The protagonist evidently has quite serious mental health problems. His brother invites him to New York in (I think) an attempt to address his depression. They have a few pretty mundane experiences. Not sure if I thought at the end that made things any better.
on 16 March 2003
Norway is cool at the moment. It's official - and this book is no exception.
Naive, Super is a great read about a young man's coming of age experience, and how he deals with the tediousness of his life at his twenty-fifth birthday.
It's short enough to finish in a couple of sittings and written in a simple, easy to follow style. The voice of the author is likeable, charming and almost childlike, but if you look just a little deeper, it's an inspiring and cheering story, with the added bonus that you get to learn a few Norwegian swearwords!
on 1 June 2013
If you like Mark Haddon's book 'The curious incident of the dog in the night time' then i'd definitely recommend reading this. It was interesting, thoughtful and also quite funny. I read the whole thing in a day because i couldn't put it down.