Learn more Download now Browse your favorite restaurants Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

When I Was Five I Killed Myself
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 May 2013
This certainly is a page turner.
Not for people who don't like being made to feel uncomfortable. The story is intriguing and leaves you wondering why the main character, a little kid, acts the way he does.

After reading this I watch the film 'Moonrise Kingdom' and bits of that reminded me of this book, but the book is not actually that similar to Moonrise Kingdom at all!

Definitely worth reading if you want to try something diff from the norm and don't mind being pushed out of your comfort zone, as some parts of the book, especially the ending, definitely do that.
on 6 March 2012
Some really great first person narrative sits over a story that doesn't really have that much to say. Adults and children communicate in different ways, erm, that's about it. This is a quick, entertaining and mildly provocative piece that is definitely worth a read but certainly not worthy of the high critical praise it has garnered. Buten does well to get two hundred pages out of the one significant thing that actually happens in the piece and that is a tribute to his writing. On the whole though, this book felt like a first draft that could have been much more developed.

This particular edition comes with notes written in German for German speakers and is unusually small. It is a great size for reading on the train.
on 15 July 2012
This book is very easy to retain interest in. A lot of people have compared it to catcher and rye which I was never that fond of, I'm not sure at the age I read it at I understood it or found it relevant to me. Burten really writes from a child's perspective well, he captures the humour in how children sees things and their utter disinterest in the big picture they can't understand. Finding out what Burt has actually done is enough to keep you hurtling towards the end as is finding out what happened to him. My only criticism is I wanted to understand more, I felt there were some themes I was being brushed over. I wanted it perhaps to be a little bit longer, it left me feeling hungry and rushed through a lot of the events. However I guess that would be how a child would portray his life.

I'm not sure whether it's a four or a five, I feel it's a four but I think if I read it again or more carefully it'd be a five.
on 4 August 2015
It ends rather abruptly as if the author can't be bothered to conclude any of the plot points. It was weird, and how do two small children manage to just wander out of school and be on their own for hours? Even when a policeman is called he lets them go off on their own without escorting them home. The ending is really odd, I feel like it has ended half way through the story.
on 10 May 2014
I really enjoyed the story, the way it is written is fantastic and I can really imagine the child telling the story. The only real reason why I didn't score it higher was because I found the ending disappointing. I had to reread the last couple of pages to make sure I hadn't missed anything.
on 8 January 2015
Was bought for someone else. They was delighted with it, so thanks.
on 5 February 2013
i struuggle to concentrate to read books , i buy them and they pile up half read in my bedroom. this is one of the only ones i finished las year!! so that must say something? maybe because it is quite short, but also the way it is wriitten in the voice of the lad makes it easy to read.also worth a read if you have an interest in mental health.
on 26 November 2014
Not to be missed
on 16 January 2015
I read it all in a day it was very good
on 5 February 2017
Pathetic. It reads like Catcher in the Rye fanfiction.