on 6 December 2002
As with many titles in this series of 'Essential Histories', this is a good summary introduction to the subject. Professor John Lynn is one of the most emminent American specialists in the history of Louis XIV's reign. For the student who wants to dig deeper into the subject matter, the bibliography in this volume offers an excellent starting point. There are only two drawbacks to this volume. First, there are some inexcusable typographical and editing errors, including outright misnomers. Osprey should have another knowledgeable person review the book and correct these. Second, the lack of maps for each of the wars and campaigns would have added to the geographical perspective essential to understanding this period. I highly recommend keeping an atlas handy to follow the text.
on 17 January 2009
This book forced me to question everything I thought I knew about history. I was not aware that the Spanish had Australian cousins, let alone that Louis XIV had fought them. Now I have to imagine kings of Spain with Aboriginal blood, and French armies crossing the Indian Ocean. But seriously, this cannot just be carelessness. Someone at Osprey is doing it deliberately.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2013
As an admirer of Lynn's work I was rather disappointed by this study. It is illuminating and fleshes out many aspects of these wars, but I had hoped for more critical discussion of the major debates surrounding them. Perhaps I was expecting too much, especially as Lynn has illuminated many of these features elsewhere. Where I had hoped for condensed argument, I found more speculation and sidelines. Probably my fault: I should have studied the reviews more thoroughly!
on 16 November 2014
good reading and useful information.
on 10 December 2016