Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2017
Very disappointing! I thought I were to receive a book that I could immerse myself in and not a 32 page glorified pamphlet that I read from start to finish in the time it took to drink a cup of tea! I will seek a refund because £6 is a lot to pay for something I'd expect to be given as a compliment to a tour around a museum.
on 30 April 2017
Peter's book is really interesting and compliments his web site on the subject, it's obvious it is something close to his heart.
on 18 July 2017
not quite what I had hoped.....reads more like a catalogue for an exhibit....still,serve as a base for further research
Excellent informative book about past life for some.of our predecessors.
on 12 November 2011
The booklet gives a tempting view of life in the workhouse. It was purchased to get an idea of the conditions my great grandfather had to endure once he left the army, blind and after a broken marriage.

Clearly the booklet only touches the surface and that is frustrating because the Institutions (Islington and Billericay)that my relative frequented were not covered but that was my bad luck.

Well worth purchasing and just maybe the author will develop the subject to give more detail and location.
on 19 February 2013
its hard to imagine just what life was like in those days where life for the poor families was extremely hard with little or no education, work, or money simply trying to live for each day only .
life to day is a blessing with help and assistance where as in those times people died young and in poor health living in dilatory conditions,
on 13 March 2015
I really should have read the customer reviews rather than the product description. I was expecting an actual book, whereas this is 30 pages long and laid out like the kind of pamphlet given to children to keep them entertained when visiting a historical building. My dog ate it within a couple of days of it arriving, I didn't even mind.
on 1 June 2014
An interesting and thought provoking book which lifts the lid on life in Victorian Workhouses. Thank goodness they have passed int history.
on 17 January 2012
Book very informative, saved a lot of research. will have a look at the other books in this line. Very quick delivery , have no problems using them again
Cheers
Eric
on 29 November 2012
Easy to read and find information, found refernces directly related to my research. Would recommend this book to any serious researchers and or thoswith family interests