on 24 April 2014
This is the a practical guide ideal for anyone wishing to tour the World War I Battlefields and with just 90 pages, including maps, it's easy to carry around. Succinct as it is, this bright little book is packed with information, starting with a World War I timeline and general information. This is followed by two main sections covering what to see and do in Belgium and France, as well as how to get to the sites or get in touch with tourist offices and battlefield tour operators.
Although this is a travel guide and not a history book, it is packed with accounts of how history was made, both known and not so well known, alongside moving poems and tales of local heroes. You'll also find advice on how to trace a missing relative or explore away from the crowds.
The book is clearly laid out and enhanced by the use of coloured panels and photographs.
on 14 August 2014
This is an excellent concise guide for carrying anywhere. We cycled the WW1 battlefields from Amiens through to Ypres via Arras. As we were carrying all our camping kit with us we wanted something informative but not bulky. This really fit the bill. Just enough information to direct you to the right places and just enough background to put things in perspective and give you a sense of where everything fitted together in the complex web of WW1 on the Western Front. Thoroughly recommended.
on 21 November 2014
What a brilliant little book! In a year awash with WW1 books this title shines. Concise, beautifully printed and very well illustrated, this handy book will be the one I carry with me on battlefield trips. Even for people not doing the trips, this is an interesting enjoyable and educational read.
on 10 December 2014
This proved the invaluable companion to our recent trip to the Ypres area and the Somme. It is a detailed and comprehensive guide to all that's worth visiting, together with plenty of background information on the battles themselves and the poor souls who took part. If you have your own car there's no need to join a tour group: this book, and a good map or two, are all you need to plan a rewarding independent trip. 100% recommended.
on 24 June 2014
This was an excellent mini guide to the battlefields. It helped us work out what to visit on a short trip. On a longer trip you would need further guidance about best routes and places to stay and eat.
on 10 January 2015
Well packaged. Arrived quickly. Disappointing content. Volume is very slim and it did not cover the info I was interested in, which the blurb led me to believe it would. It really is just a a Tourist Guide to visiting some WW1 Battlefields and as such is, in my view, quite expensive.
on 11 May 2016
This is a very concise little book. It gives brief descriptions of many of the battlefields and the cemeteries interspersed with little nuggets of information about the deeds of various people. Very interesting without being a weighty tome. It is easy to read and just provides
on 3 December 2015
Gift for my grandson who is going next year to the battle field tour with cadets Full of interesting information,things to look out for and facts he can read before he goes to enhance the experience small and light enough for day sack I am hoping he finds it as useful as i think will !!!!
on 9 June 2015
I bought this prior to going to the Somme and Ypres areas. Essential background. We had a personal guide, much better than trusting to local museums not least because the countryside seems so innocent and nearly English, no clues as to the horrors which took place.
on 20 July 2014
My husband and I love WW1 and frequent CWGC sites on an annual basis. This little book offers great summaries of battles and has even told us of some places that we have not yet visited. Great price. Well illustrated and easy to read. So good even bought a copy for my sister who has a planned trip to Belgium later this year.