on 12 June 2015
I wish all guide books were like this. It was a joy to use and to read. Concise, informative, well researched and atmospheric. I spent 7 days in just one small corner of The Peloponnese, an area that was probably just 20 pages of this book - but if the rest of the region is covered as well as the Mani then you will need nothing else. Two things appealed to me particularly. He suggests short driving or walking routes that are frankly inspired. Less than 10km from where we were staying were the most extraordinary frescoed 1000 year old churches that we would never have known about if we hadn't taken one of these little driving tours. We asked locals about it when we got back and none of them seems to know about it - from our visit I am confident it is very much off the beaten track for tourists - what a treat! If we hadn't taken his advice about the town of Mystras we wouldn't have seen most of it as we'd have passed out from exhaustion climbing up it! He doesn't gush, or sugar coat anything, but you have faith that if he's mentioned it's worth a visit and you get to discover it for yourself. Which brings me to the second thing I loved about this book - it's brilliantly written! He's got a dry sense of humour that sneaks in here and there, and he so obviously loved the region and it's stories. Like I said, it's a pleasure to read.
on 14 September 2013
I bought this for a friend who visited the Peloponnese a week ago, and am assured it became an indispensable part of the trip, the first of many it is hoped. Andrew Bostock writes with authority and humour, and the information is pretty up to date in the fast moving and dire economic situation in Greece. One of the first casualties has been the credit card, which has been mostly dumped by suppliers in favour of cash. So the budget needs to include cash for car fuel, meals and accommodation. Andrew's love of the area comes out clearly in the well researched and beautifully produced publication. Hooray!
on 4 October 2013
Well written and researched and pleasant to read but a bit confusing. The maps in particular do not seem to correspond to the descriptions. e.g. places are named in the text but when you look at the corresponding maps they are not there, so you always need another map handy.
And often, if the map is Michelin's the problem is compounded as they have their own ideas as to which placenames are relevant.
We sometimes seemed not to find a correlation between what we could see on the ground (road signs, town names, etc.) and what Michelin thought that should be there. These maps were probably drawn by older ones without any real survey of the land.

The guide is also in need of some updating. In Messene for instance almost no mention is made of the Stoa which is becoming an important site. And some of the descriptions, direction, etc. make it a bit difficult to find the various sites and monuments.
Also some of the accomodations' prices are out of date i.e. lower, fortunately for us but not for the Greeks.

Best used following the author's itineraries which seems to follow a counter cloackwise pattern.

All in all the author, evidently passionate and knowledgeble about the area, did an excellent job and I'm sure that with a few corrections this will be the go-to guide to this beautiful area.
on 1 September 2014
I purchased this book prior to a family holiday in the SW of the Peloponnese (area of Gialova). I found it to be highly informative. The recommended sights we visited all lived up to the expectations the book generated and more. The notes on general history and on each sight made visits more interesting and entertaining (Messene in particular was excellent). The book is easy to follow, well written and has the odd touch of humour to lighten things up. Great guide by an author who seems to really like and know the region. My only comment would be that some of the routes to locations such as Apollo's Temple at Bassae were a little hairy (lots of hairpin bends, sections of damaged roads and collapses section where the road was narrowed). I would also recommend trying out a wider range of restaurants than suggested as we found the recommendations for Gialova, for example, did not cover what in our opinion was the best restaurant in town.
on 11 November 2015
This guide proved to be extremely useful during our road trip in the Peloponnese- would of felt blind to the area without it. The author provides exceptional insight to the towns history which sparks interesting conversation with the locals. The book is not over bearing in its recommendations and acts a book of reference for when it is suitable to the reader, and the references are good. Good tips and advise throughout. Although I would suggest not to use this as a travelling bible, use your own explorations of the area to make up your judgements of the place.
on 13 June 2014
I wanted a guide just for the Peloponnese, as most of the Greece guides only have one chapter for the main land.
This book contains very useful information presented in humorous writing.
Literally everything you need to know or want to know is mentioned in the guide.
on 26 January 2014
this guide helped to make our visit to the Peloponnese the best Greek holiday ever. The guide was right
about EVERYTHING including where to stay when visiting Monemvasia ( we did not take the guide's advice and regretted it!). A must for independent travellers.
on 16 February 2014
We went to the Peloponnese for our honeymoon in August, 2013. This book was really great in historical details and local recommendations.
on 16 October 2016
This is an excellent guide book, well written and with interesting snippets of historical information included. It is also quirkily amusing, Andrew Bostock obviously has a love for the Pelopennese area and people but he does not refrain from making wry (and well observed!) comments about them. We used this guide and it took us to lovely and interesting places that we would never have seen without it. Buy it, it's worth it. Andy
on 19 September 2014
BUYERS BEWARE! I am disappointed to find that the book has been assembled incorrectly. Page numbers go 104, 105, 94, 95, 108, 109, 90, 91, 112, 113, 102, 103, 116, 117, 98, 99, 120, 121. So there are no pages 106, 107,110, 111, 118, 119. In 70 years of reading I have never seen anything like this, and it is such an expensive hardback.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse