on 9 January 2015
excellent.
on 24 July 2009
I am very pleased with the guide it is a handy size and should be very easy to use for identifying animals,insects and birds when I go to South Africa. Lovely photos and a clear text well laid out.
on 1 October 2009
I originally bought this as a reference guide and was initially disappointed. Once I got to read it, I was really pleased I'd bought it. It is more a general guide for wildlife and being on safari, very interesting and well written. From my experience of being on safari, it is mostly accurate too. Well worth buying
on 13 October 2009
This book is exactly what you want to have on safari. You can take it with you on game drives as it isn't hugely bulky, it has a good selection of animals so that you rarely see something the book doesn't talk about, and the descriptions of the animals, habitats etc are just right in length, with a good mix of text and photos. The price also means you can happily put it in your rucksack, whereas some of the elaborately illustrated wildlife books are so expensive that you would never want to take them off the coffee table!
on 7 September 2003
If you think that going on safari should consist of more than lazily ticking off a lion, a hippo and a zebra before heading for the barbeque, this is the book for you. It takes you deep into the bush and opens your eyes in the way that a ranger in the field might do, from explaining the breeding habits of turtles to advising what to do if charged by a lion. The writing is infused with enthusiasm, and has a lightness of touch that keeps you reading - it's therefore ideal for whetting your appetite before you go, keeping you company while you're there, and offering a nostalgic reminder when you get back.
The book is wide in scope, covering mammals, birds, invertebrates, reptiles and amphibians as well as habitats, tracks and how to go about a safari. But astonishingly for a book you can slip into your pocket, it offers much more than a brief overview. Unless you are a specialist, this is all you would really need to appreciate everything you see (other than a field guide to birds, which you would need for identification purposes). Both the photography and illustrations are superb. I'm off to South Africa in a few weeks, and my copy is already dog-eared.
on 26 August 2003
Southern Africa has to be one of the best wildlife-watching destinations on earth, with far more to see and enjoy than can be packed into the average two-week itinerary. This new wildlife-watching guide will help visitors make the most of this animal extravaganza. Mike Unwin, who obviously loves the area and its animals, takes us on a lively, quirky tour of the wildlife, highlighting the 'greatest hits' but not neglecting the less well-known but no less fascinating species and groups. The book also has plenty of travel advice and information on animal tracks and signs. It's illustrated with a wealth of beautiful colour photos, and many of the author's own superb line drawings. It's wonderfully inspiring - I can't wait to road-test it in the field.
on 5 August 2010
I bought this as a birthday present for my husband which he celebrated while we were on our first safari in South Africa. I knew I had to get something good as he always loved reading about animals as a child, and had always wanted to go on safari. It's always difficult to choose something like this without being able to flick through the pages (I know you can 'look inside', but not quite the same)
Anyway this book was a definite winner - he had his nose in it the whole time and read it from cover to cover during our time on safari! It's not really a field guide/atlas to identifying species but we did manage to identify several things using it. It's more of an informative guide, providing interesting facts about each animal, written well and with humour. We'll definitely be taking it on our next safari.
on 10 May 2013
I haven't read the whole book yet but from what I have read it is quite detailed, informative and very interesting with loads of very cool pictures. There is also some very helpful Afrikaan slang words relating to certain types of environments (like bushveldt or highveldt for example) which I hadn't known what it meant until I read up on it. There are also some excellent tips and information on game drives and taking care of yourself while out in the African bush, what to do and what not to do during bush walks or game drives. I`d definitely recommend this book for anyone who is wanting to travel to Southern Africa in search of wild animals or even for those who are just interested in reading about them. Simple, informative and a very good read.
on 24 March 2015
A good wildlife primer, with brief description of habitats, and a wide range of creatures, from mammals to invertebrates. Tips on different countries, and how to watch and photograph wildlife, but if like most of us, you choose an organised trip, these parts may not be used as much. Would be useful in choosing a trip. Not a pocket field guide, and my only reason for not awarding five stars is the lack of animal distribution maps, which comes with the pocket guides anyway. A good read, and exciting preparation.
on 3 September 2013
Not really afield guide. A guide book yes but it doesn't tell much of the animals behaviour, habitat or tracks. I found I really didn't use it much . The info was wordy rather than concise which is what a field guide needs to be in my opinion.