Customer reviews

on 29 December 2008
I was unlucky enough to have to visit Mozambique with the previous edition of this book, which was (very poorly) updated by a different author and had numerous shortcomings.
Better late than never though, and I was surprised to see that in this new edition the original author Philip Briggs has once again produced a guide in line with the quality of his other titles on Africa.
Practical information is now much more thorough, and there is far more detail on wildlife and national parks. He has also successfully resisted Bradt's switch from giving only vague categories, if at all, to indicate rates of accommodation, and this book, like all others by this author, still gives you actual prices like LP.
I still feel the book is still a bit overly enthusiastic about what I personally found one of the least rewarding countries in the region though - I even found Mozambique's beaches far less impressive than guidebooks might lead you to believe.
The country's most unique feature in my eyes is its Portuguese colonial heritage, and that is well-introduced here.
I wish I had already had this edition with me on my trip!
on 16 June 2003
I've read all guides to Mozambique and been there. Now I am planning my second trip.
This book is the the most in depth and meticulous. The detail of the thoroughly researched book is quite astonishing.
There is no ambiguity - if you can get/sleep/eat there this book will tell you how whether be public transport or your own. It doesn't leave any questions. For any trip especially out of Maputo and off the beaten track this book will prove absolutely invaluable. The authors factual and succinct style gives frank impressions and doesn't rely on second hand information.
The maps are very handy and this book is by far the most up to date - places are opening up in Mozambique and they are in this book and not in others.
on 6 July 2012
Very happy with the Bradt guide, brilliantly researched and right up to date (used December 2011, prices were pretty accurate). A wonderful source of information, beautifully written and the perfect travel compagnon for an amazing trip through northern Mozambique.
on 14 October 2013
A few years out of date so not the most accurate but still a trusty aid which I would recommend.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 September 2011
this is perfect if you want a guide only for mozambique. Other guides book don't have one only for this country
on 12 October 2010
No at all an inspiring guide to Mozambique. The description of most places is rather bleak and doesn't give you much desire to go.