Customer reviews

on 28 September 2007
I found this Bradt travel guide more comprehensive and accurate than many of the Lonely Planet or Rough Guides I've purchased in the past. The author seems genuinely interested in the country and I enjoyed reading the funny accounts of his experiences - both good and bad. The Practical Information section is particularly useful (I did't realise I needed vaccinations to visit Croatia until I'd read this!)
on 23 August 2005
with this book. Recently got back from a trip to Croatia. I used the "Lonely Planet" & "Rough Guide" books as well, but mostly to cross-reference info with Mr. Letcher's guide. I completely concur with the previous reviewer's comments of how enjoyable this book is to read, regardless of whether you make the trip or not. But, if you do go to Croatia, the usefulness of the information, the organization and the presentation of the facts, and the innumerable little quips, humorous observations, and gentle warnings will come through for you. It's obvious Mr. Letcher enjoyed being in Croatia and his love of the country must have been detected by the natives. Neither of the other two books (though information packed) offer as much of the personal experience of the nooks and crannies of this (yes, I'm prejudiced!) fabulously beautiful country. If there's one bone I'd like to pick with Mr. Letcher, it's his mentioning of certain small towns along the coast that may now lose their mystery and their minimal tourist visitations. He has been to the out of the way places; hopefully some will stay that way.
Since we've been back, I still find myself picking up the book and re-reading passages. They're as evocative of the coastline, the wind, and the people now as before our trip. He's captured the true spirit of Croatia.
on 9 September 2005
We have just returned from a week's holiday in the Kornati archipelago in the Croatian Adriatic, taking this book with us. We found it an excellent companion, helpful and illuminating on everything from Croatia's history to the abrasiveness of the limestone rock which makes up the islands. The maps are excellent and very clear. Above all the author's affection for the country shines through and is very infectious.
on 19 May 2005
This guide to Croatia is the most detailed, comprehensive and above all readable guide to the country. It gives not just all the things you'd expect from a guidebook -- when to go, where to stay, what to eat and drink, what to see, how to get around, and how much it's all going to cost -- but also provides amusing and thought-provoking insights and anecdotes about Croatia, its culture and people, and its history. This is the one book you should have with you when planning a trip to Croatia. Highly recommended
on 17 October 2011
We have not used this brand of Guide before and were influenced by earlier reviews. We found the guide most useful on a Saga Tour of the Dalmatian Coast and the National Parks. The guide gave very helpful information about all the major stops on our tour and identified the areas of interest (of two autumnal travellers - in all senses...).
We would have appreciated the inclusion of area maps of the same quality as the excellent town maps provided.
We shall search for guides from this brand on all our future trips.Croatia (Bradt Travel Guides)
on 9 August 2007
..after just one recent visit (I also picked up the same author's book 'Zagreb' on the same trip). I can heartily recommend both books.
on 19 March 2003
I came across this while cruising the internet looking for a suitable introduction to travel in the Balkans. And I found it. I found this book invaluable in planning my trip (delayed since before the Yugoslav war). It is a cut above most of the travel guides one finds and more in the tradition of George Borrows or Gerald Brennan, but nonetheless loaded with practical advice. This book is a must have!
on 21 March 2003
Most travel guides claim to be "more than just a travel guide". But "Croatia" by Bradt/Letcher has something very special: a deep intimacy with the country, its riven and complex history, its wild natural corners (sea, rugged mountains, deep green reserves, lakes and gushing falls and sources), its people and food, and, importantly, the quirks of its existence that make it Croatia and nowhere else. Thanks to what is refreshingly good and engaged writing, this intimacy breathes its way through the pages, and is captured eloquently in the luxuriant photography.
This guide manages to elegantly straddle the divide between "travel writing" and the "travel guide", providing concise and clear information on all the things you could want or need to know - including what really happens at the bus stop after a long day's hike and when there's only one way back to a bed and a meal! Everything the veteran independent traveller needs is here, including how to cope as a vegetarian or as a lone female, and where to sleep if you're short of cash. At the same time though, it is a compelling and enjoyable read that sows just the right number of seeds. The invitation is not only to travel to Croatia for a holiday (whether for its beaches, sailing and gastronomy, for its towns, architecture and history, or for its mountains and wildlife), but one is inticed to go on discovering an intimacy so lovingly revealed, with a country full of startling richness.
on 23 May 2005
The line betwen an excellent travel guide and an excellent piece of travel writing can be superbly erased at times. This book does that. I have read it from cover to cover at home just for the pleasure of reading it - that's the way it is with this writer's books. If, on a winter's night, a traveller finds himself sitting at home wishing he had a blazing fire to dream away the hours to, but he only has gas, then being whisked away by a guide who knows his stuff is perhaps the next best thing.
And Letcher knows his stuff. Because he has done the hard miles around this dramatic country, and shares his knowledge in a diverting, modern style which updates the works he cites as references and establishes this book as the new standard.
I have shown this book to Croatians living here and they have said he has got it just right. I have had a brief trip there too using this book very much as a vade mecum in situ and it proved itself admirable as a practical guide. Buy this, and then treat yourself to his book about France too.
on 12 May 2005