Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 May 2007
I just bought this guide book and I was very impressed by the detail. I have never found another guide that dealt with Slovakia in such a thorough manner. It has been well-researched and well-written and includes some interesting and amusing boxes on Slovak culture and history. I am thrilled that somebody has finally discovered the Slovak countryside, especially the regions in the east. I recommend this book and also that travellers try the Spis and Saris regions, plus beautiful cities like Bardejov, Levoca, Kezmarok, Presov, Kosice and Zilina.
on 17 June 2010
My husband and I really enjoyed traveling around the north east of Slovakia using this book. Lucy Mallows has clearly done some thorough research even in the less travelled areas of the country. I was originally hesitant about buying the book as it's 3 years out of date (2007), but almost all of what she writes still holds (which cannot be said for many other guide books where information quickly loses validity/correctness) and we found ourselves relying on this book rather than another one we also had. That said, I would welcome a new edition post the Euro adoption and other recent developments in the country, which has changed so much over the last decades.
Her fondness of Slovakia and its people comes through very well in her writing, and it was obvious she enjoyed traveling around and doing her research. Particularly the inclusion of subtle cultural observations and her 'pozor!' notes adds real human value to the book, making the reading not only more interesting but also useful for the day-to-day encounters. I am myself Slovak so was able to appreciate and recognise many of them.
There are a few typos (especially in translations from English to Slovak), which I'm sure would disappear in a follow-up edition.
I'd happily use this book again traveling around Slovakia, also around the parts I am more familiar with, as it adds a lot of value even to the native reader, through its humour, passion, and detailed observations both of the country and its people.
on 22 July 2013
To my travel to Slovakia I choose to buy this guide and it was a great choice. With a very detailed information about the country since the history until the places to eat and what to to. And is very well wrote.
Absuletly I recommend it!
on 11 August 2010
As there are limited options for Slovakia it was just great to have something to start me off. Found in particular the quite personal and indepth information really good but used the map from the step by step guide of Slovakia as a map wasn't in this one.

Must also say Slovakia have very good Information shops in most large towns and they have good local information and in English for summer and winter and OS maps.

As we were out side the normal toursit area of Bratislava it was more limited in our area but overall a good and useful book
on 8 January 2015
Not only to help me with details of my trip there in the summer but brought back super memories.
on 19 May 2015
A very comprehensive and detailed guide to Slovakia. Perhaps the best on the market.
on 8 June 2016
Great guide, Good detail of key aspects.