Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 September 2009
I compared a few of the guidebooks before I went to Mauritius & Rodrigues and chose the Bradt guide as it was the most up-to-date and it seemed the most comprehensive. I certainly didn't regret my choice once I was there. I found the descriptions of restaurants and attractions really helpful and the prices were more or less correct. I also hired cars to get around the islands and found the maps accurate. For those that are interested in natural history and wildlife, this is undoubtedly the most detailed guidebook. I had already chosen my hotel so didn't need the hotel descriptions but fortunately the review of my hotel was good. I also found the guidebook contained lots of tips from the author based on their experiences which were helpful in deciding what to see and do. I would recommend the Bradt guide to anyone visiting Mauritius or the other islands.
on 3 December 2009
I have read several travel books on Mauritius. This one deals with all aspects of the country and has an especially good section on the history of the island. Not your usual superficial travel guide. This really is the best.
on 17 December 2014
Out of date : I bought the book in 2014, the first number I called was for a hiking guide. She said that she had closed business in 2006.
Unclear maps, often too small to actually understand what's going on.

I had already travelled through Madagascar using the extremely high-quality Bradt guide and was expecting the same level of quality from this one. Extremely disappointed.
on 12 August 2011
I bought this guide after reading good reviews and was rather disappointed with it. I found it rather difficult to find information that a tourist staying in a hotel might actually want to know. For example there wasn't enough information about the animal park (Casela) and the incredible prices for tickets for every attraction within it. I didn't find it easy to use (I love travel books and always buy them before going on holiday and read them!), even though I use guide books a lot. All in all I wouldn't recommend this book to people who have already booked their hotel accommodation and just want to find local attractions and things to do while in Mauritius.
on 18 April 2011
Where possible I always get the Bradt guides. They contain almost everything you need to know and this was no exception. It is also a nice memento after the holiday. Very satisfied.
on 24 September 2011
When you are preparing to go on a trip you want to fantise about the destination. You want pictures of beaches, of historical buildings, of hotels etc. This book does have much of that. If you want to read about history, read about fauna and flora without pictures then this book is for you.