Customer reviews

on 2 August 2017
A most enjoyable and informative read well presented .
on 3 December 2003
There's more information in each chapter than you'd find in most books.
The author has taken the hard option by giving a thorough treatment that includes poorly documeted periods of British history, such as pre-Roman times and the "Dark" ages. I learned all sorts about pre-historic Britain and Celtic kingdoms.
The focus is on the lives of ordinary people in the borders, but the book is so complete that it gives you a good overview of political events in Scotland & England that affected the Borders. The final chapter, which describes 20th Century border history largely through quotes from those who lived through it, could be considered a classic source by itself.
The info is very well organised so although it comes thick and fast it is never confusing.
The only question left unanswered is where the author found the time to put it together!
on 21 May 2017
Signed to me. Good read about the Borders since we're not Borderers. I enjoyed most about Cuthbert & the Early Church. I've also read his Tyneside - see elsewhere on my Profile page. Borderers have the gift of writing - see my Reviews elsewhere for David Steel & Earl Haig! I have read Walter Scott's The Laird of Bradwardine which is difficult because of the language & The Three Perils of Woman by James Hogg - see elsewhere on my Profile page. The most interesting fact was that ICI had a munitions factory at Charlesfield near RAF aerodromes like at Ayot House - see Thirty Years with GBS by Blanche Patch elsewhere on my Profile page which must be true for other parts of the country.
on 16 November 2013
While I generally enjoyed this book, I agree with another reviewer who described Mr. Moffat's style as pedantic. The book is often hardgoing, as the author descends into detailed recounting of border history events & areas which apparently interest him most. Although I am no historian, I also agree some of the book is conjecture & feel that objectivity suffers in instances. Despite the great detail in some areas, I find some curious ommissions, e.g. Mr. Moffat attributes the term "Ulster Scots" exclusively to border reivers who migrated to Ireland, ignoring earlier & later Scots movements to Ireland. The Ulster Plantation is not referenced. He gives short shrift to the history of the Covenanters and the killing time, the period when my Ayrshire Scots ancestors migrated to Ireland. Mr. Moffat has found himself at the center of controversy for other erroneous public statements in relation to his company BritainDNA.
on 24 February 2013
Very pedantic style of writing- too much heavy detail and could have said just the same in a lot fewer pages. A lot of this is conjecture rather than hard historical fact. Avoid if you're looking for an easy read and accuracy.
on 3 March 2014
Alistair Moffat is a consummate raconteur who educates as he enthralls. The style of this book is interesting as he puts the occasional topic into a box on the page so that you don't have to digress from the main subject but can leap back to it. I heartily recommend this book. I only wish it went on for longer!
on 20 November 2015
love this book so much detail
on 1 March 2009
Very comprehensive written in an engrossing style. Excellent for Borders history and almost certainly the best to date.
on 18 July 2011
An indispensable book on the history of an important area of Scotland's (and Britain's) history.

It is a white-knuckle ride through the turbulant history of the formation of a much fought over and disputed area.

It also reminds me why I love the area so much!

The Borders
on 7 January 2015
I hugely enjoyed reading this book, partly because of family history and partly because it's a area of the UK that no-one seems to have much knowledge about. The approach of this writer, a geneticist, makes the examination of the subject fascinating - and he also has an endearing and involving memory for good anecdotes and stories, which he includes.

The book sheds a new light on a neglected subject, and it filled in many of the gaps in my personal knowledge of the area - which isn't very far from where I live and from which many of my own ancestors came.