on 16 February 2017
As ever, the initial introduction of new point of view characters is a little jarring, and I found myself struggling with them to begin with- resenting the time these interlopers were stealing from familiar favourites. As the story progresses however I found myself warming to the newcomers just as I had with the previous volume and by the end I had new favourites to add to the cadre of colourful misfits that Corey had crafted for earlier stories. Some established characters are absent from this story, but this is a wise decision; their inclusion would have disrupted the panicked, claustrophobic quality of the narrative and left it unfocused in a manner akin to George R.R. Martin's later A Song of Ice and Fire entries. Keeping the pov characters to the minimum demanded by the story helps to keep things moving along at a steady clip, and if all answers that eventually arrive only result in more questions, you can at least be satisfied that you'll finish the book understanding a little bit more of the universe that is being set up than you did at the start.
4 people found this helpful
on 15 May 2018
So part three in the adventures of the Roci. We are introduced again to a new set of characters, though Holden is still around. We have Anna a preacher, Bull an Earther working for the OPA and Melba/Clarissa who I won't say too much about. I think an issue I had was that I didn't connect as well to these characters as I did to Bobby and Avasarala in the previous volume. There is a lot of action and the most of it revolves around the consequences of the end of Caliban's War. I really enjoyed Holden's interactions with an old friend and the limitations in the 'slow zone'. I think another issue I had was that the climax at the end felt a little forced, not entirely realistic, but saying that it was still great to read about. So another very good book but I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the previous two.
on 26 May 2018
I read the first book and read it in one session and loved it. I immediately bought the second and again read it in one session. the story and pace was fantastic. Unfortunately this 3rd book is complete garbage from start to finish. Its a thing's go wrong lets blame Holden plot. It's so contrived it bored me stupid. I dont want endless chapters on religious handwringing and hugging cussions in messages to a partner and daughter who's names are stupid. so by chapter 15 i was skipping every one that didnt say Holden. There is no way i will buy anymore of this series.
on 17 January 2017
The first third of this one had me struggling and I nearly gave up. At that pint I certainly wasn't buying the next one. It was all getting trite and predictable.

However it started to pick up again and then grabbed my attention once more. A couple of points moved me to tears ( but that's probably just me ).

Obviously I've changed my mind about the next book.
on 5 July 2017
While reading a book that is part of along series makes inevitable the survival of major characters, how they will get through epic problems nevertheless makes this a gripping tale. The demise of some minor characters adds spice, and pathos. The overarching theme of a defunct galaxy-wide civilization returning from the grave (in a sense) means this series probably has a lot of legs yet. I look forward to reading the remaining books.
on 12 March 2014
So why am I reviewing this before I have finished, because it was worth every penny and I have still got 25% to go. But mainly because I have realised with utter a joy that I can see that there's a fourth book. I was so worried about finishing this one and being left without another book in the series that I have tried reading it a bit slower. So what can I say, if you have a pulse at all, you just need to read these books, you cannot be anything but blown away but them. Utterly awesome stuff of such high quality that if there''s no film made of it, it will be a total travesty. I guess it would be horrendously expensive to make, is the only excuse I can possibly think of. Buy it, but please start at book one.
on 7 September 2013
Is this the third and last of the series? Or a jump-off point to another? The storyline of this series is engaging and absorbing; I confess that some of James' concepts don't fit into my mental construct of James' universe, or storyline, but that is my problem and does not detract from the overall enjoyment of this series. The writing is excellent in my view. The books are of good length and you do not feel short-changed at the end of each. I thoroughly recommend the series

My only beef is that I have had to wait patiently for each subsequent release, much like waiting for the next episode a gripping TV series. But, if this is your first time, you are probably in for a treat.

If you are looking for other authors, you could try Mark Cooper (Merkiaari Wars), Michael Hicks (The Last War etc), Evan Currie (On Silver Wings etc), Jack Campbell (The Lost Fleet) or James Corey (The Expanse series). Please read inserts or sample downloads before spending your hard earned dosh.
on 10 February 2017
This 3rd book of the series dragged a little at times. Lots of action but repetitive and formulaic. It was gripping enough that I was reading it into the early hours and deep enough that it entertained me through a 2-day car journey. Audio narration was perfect for this as I could switch seamlessly between reading in hotels and listening while driving.

Overall it is a worthwhile addition to the series but doesn't work stand-alone. Not as good as the first two books.
on 9 January 2018
3rd Book in the Expanse series. Very good storytelling. Came to this via the Netflix/Sy-fy series (which I can also heartily recommend) and actually helped me visualise a lot of the plot perfectly. First books I have purchased for my Fire and very happy with the purchase..
on 30 October 2017
A little tedious. This may be because the hero has saved the galaxy several times already and the dastardly plots that could prevent him from doing so again are becoming a little far fetched. However, it is good enough to thing about getting books 4 and 5. Even if it is because it will stop me worrying about what happened. And the complete set always looks better on the shelf.