Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 April 2014
Great character's , full of action that zips along at a pace that say's don't stop reading .
After reading book one I downloaded the other two books and now I see there is a book four --- sweet.
I'm a big sci fi reader since the age of 13 and thats a lot of books . I like full on Techno hard going and adventures and this Author rates up there with the big names .
I will be looking out for more from him .
on 25 September 2013
Corey's style is somewhat of a cross between 1950's style boys own SF and modern Space Opera. As such I find it refreshingly different. Character development takes precedence to action - although there's still plenty of action for the guns and glory brigade. That said, the characters can be somewhat two dimensional. Although I enjoyed the book immensely, i did find the plot unsophisticated. Hence the three stars. That said, I will definitely stick with the series and, on this showing, would expect Corey's star to shine as bright as Hamilton and Reynolds in due course.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 April 2013
This is the second volume in the "Expanse" trilogy and it follows more or less where "Leviathan Wakes" finished. The main theme here is corporate greed and rivalry between the two major powers (Terra and Mars) as a large corporation plays them one against another and comes up with a lethal and devastating weapon. While not bad, the plot does have a little air of "déjà vu" and may remind some of Hamilton and his (mostly) "evil" corporations, although, to be fair, there is a sufficient number of twists and differences to make it somewhat original.

Some of the same characters are back, in particular James Holden, the ex-Navy officer who was the hero of the first volume, and the crew of the Rocinante. These, however, were not the ones I found the most interesting. In fact I got a bit tired of James Holden personal relationship, and of the character himself. I was much more interested in two of the new characters - the Martian marine sergeant who sees her platoon slaughtered and seeks to understand what happened and avenge them and the high flying politician from Terra. Both characters I found to be well drawn and convincing, partly because both are both strong in their rather different ways but also vulnerable.

As alluded to before, a number of features are used rather successfully in this book to grip the reader and drag her/him into the history. One of these is the previously mentioned slaughter of the Martian marine platoon. One this is achieved, it is rather difficult to put this one down. Even if slightly less good than the previous one, perhaps in part because it is volume two, this one is still just about worth four stars for me. Definitely recommended, but you probably need to read volume one first.
on 29 December 2014
One of the best sci fi series I've ever read.... takes me back to my teenage years discovering the great authors of the 60s and 70s. I'm totally hooked and saving the rest of the series up for the next time I get on a long flight.
on 2 October 2014
I think I read these books years ago but it's all vague. However reading them now is a great experience. It's a really good mix of believable science with some exotic elements thrown in for fun. The story rocks along and I have already bought the next in the series
on 8 May 2013
it just keeps getting better and better
wonderful sci-fi but, if you took that away it would it's still be a brilliant book packed with political intrigue

fab, can't wait for book 3!
on 21 July 2014
I bought this as a gift for my husband who reads a lot. He actually chose this book after reading the reviews and though it would be an interesting and good book to have. He has not read the entire book yet but so far he is contented with his present and i know he would enjoy reading it. Thanks!
on 1 September 2013
So - we have weird alien artefacts, warring factions in the solar system and an obstinate spacer and his motley crew in a stolen ship in the middle of it all trying to stop the end of the world.

The heroes are likeable and self-deprecating and the villains pleasingly..well...villainous.

I've read all three in the series and it's up there with Alastair Reynolds, and a bit better than Neal Asher and Gary Gibson if you know those authors. Highly recommended.
on 6 March 2013
This won't be a very in-depth review. I'm not a book critic but I know what I like. I love my sci-fi to have a certain depth and complexity. I adore Peter F. Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds and authors in that stratum. I think Mr. Corey is up there too. The book follows on from the first, not too directly so I guess you could read it alone but the first one is excellent too! After a bit of a slow start, this kicks up a couple of gears fairly quickly. I raced through it pretty quickly and cannot wait for the third one. Buy it.
on 24 September 2014
A tremendous read from start to finish. Well paced and plotted with highly engaging characters, wrapped in an SF setting that just drips authenticity. Gonna read it again right now. Books this good don't come along too often...