Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 March 2014
After a slower start it takes of half way through and never lets up. I am actually now on the third book Abaddon's Gate. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this series. Well I will try, the characters are so natural, you know in most books the Author is obviously biased to one or another viewpoint or leading the reader. Here in this series they are as real as anyone I know. From their individual perspectives the characters are doing or saying what they believe is right, the Author just lets them be what they are, he does not judge. How can he become so many wildly different people, it's amazing. But then there's the most refreshing and realistic sci fi world, bound by proper physics that we can understand and relate to. But then of course it's the plot that pins you to a chair and grips you like a magnet. Brilliant stuff.
on 11 June 2013
More thrill a minute space opera with enough intellegent writing to keep more discerning readers interested. This is the way I love my sci-fi; guns, politics, space ships and a deep dark brooding threat. But why the cost, Amazon? I can go down to Waterstones and by cheaper than this. If it wasn't for a brief price drop I wouldn't have bought, which doesn't seem fair, on the Author does it?
If there's one thing that Daniel Abraham does well its create a world that is not only fascinating to visit but one that draws you in with fascinating characters who help create a believable world or in this case universe. It's snappy writing, the prose sharp and when you add to it the authors identifiable writing style that allows you to tag along on the characters adventures really does its best to draw you in.

Add to this a solid pace from an author who know's when to not only change up a gear but blast you into the stratosphere from 0-60 in half a second and all in it's a satisfying read. The only word of warning that I have is that this is the second book in the series and I really wouldn't advise picking up here without having read the original (Leviathan's Wake) first. All in cracking Sci-Fi and definitely one that deserves at least one film to bring more to this author's table.
on 4 March 2016
This is all go from the start. Faster paced than book one and all the better for it. I am not a hard core science fiction reader but I am really enjoying these books by Corey. Well written good stories.
on 18 December 2014
Reynolds, Bear, Iain M. Banks, Stephenson - I think it's time to add the pen-name duo of JSA Corey to that list.

Really enjoying this series, can't wait for it to continue. The connection with George RR Martin (Game of Thrones) is interesting as well - I think the series would translate well to an HBO style production.
on 3 June 2014
Ahmahgahd that was a freaking good book!

The characters that I saw form the crew in the first book really gelled in to an awesome dynamic.

I saw a review where someone mentioned the crew reminded him of firefly and I agree

And the girl marine from Mars? What a character!

One of the best books I've read in a long time and I can t wait to read the next one in the series.
on 20 April 2014
Great character's , full of action that zips along at a pace that say's don't stop reading .
After reading book one I downloaded the other two books and now I see there is a book four --- sweet.
I'm a big sci fi reader since the age of 13 and thats a lot of books . I like full on Techno hard going and adventures and this Author rates up there with the big names .
I will be looking out for more from him .
on 8 October 2012
I loved the 1st book in the series, and this one was even better.

A great story with lots of action that moves along at speed. I loved the two new Characters introduced to the story and thought they really added to the plot and moved it forward from the 1st novel, I felt they kept it fresh. I just love the concepts created in this universe and how things might just be in our solar system, to me it seems believable.

For fans of science fiction these novels have everything, from bad ass aliens, big mysteries, corrupt corporations to put upon heroes. Read this book, its great but make sure you read Leviathan Wakes first. I for one am looking forward to the next one especially after reading the end (I didn't see that one coming).

Enjoy, I did.
on 29 December 2014
One of the best sci fi series I've ever read.... takes me back to my teenage years discovering the great authors of the 60s and 70s. I'm totally hooked and saving the rest of the series up for the next time I get on a long flight.
on 27 September 2012
Leviathan Wakes set the scene for a Solar System torn by rivalries between Earth, Mars and the Outer Planets. Grounded in the possible, Corey has created a realistic image of how the early days of human expansion might run. He concentrated on the characters and very often their flaws. This was quite heartening because there are some authors who write big, big stories but whose characters make the reader yawn.

In Caliban's War, Corey brings back some old characters in the shape of James Holden and his crew, whilst introducing some new participants in the drama. The story is full of action, such as an on the run battle under the domes and tunnels of Ganymede. But there is still the odd bit of one line humour that endears the players in the tale. I really felt for the characters missions. Praxx, a displaced botanist is seeking his toddler daughter in the heat of a war. Holden doubts his earlier decisions about disposal of the proto-molecule and whether he was right to trust the Outer Planets with the last remaining sample. Meanwhile on Earth a senior administrator and an estranged Martian marine are working against the lightspeed delay to discover what events near Jupiter have turned a peaceful colonised moon against itself.