on 30 June 2013
Flawed but likeable characters.

An epic story covering the colonisation of the solar system and the various factions at odds with each other.

An alien weapon of mass destruction for them all to fight over.

Heady ingredients well wielded together to make a really entertaining book.
on 12 July 2012
Like some on here I was really looking forward to this book, due to the other reviews. And in all honesty it starts very well. I like the politics between Earth, Mars and the Belters and how each culture interacts. The problem is that the story starts fast but then slowly begins to fade away, untill half way through the book it just becomes a dull cliche. The more I read about the character Holden the less intrested I get. He's the usual good looking ladies man action hero, well that's how he is made out to be but if I'm honest he comes acroos a bit dim witted with no real personality. It probably would have been better to have just written the book from Millers point of view (the second main character) as in least he has a personality. I didn't get to the end of the book as it became very slow and unexciting so I won't say too much about the "vomit zombies", apart from the fact they sound more like something from a kids TV show. Really dissapointing book, which starts out well and then fades away.
on 12 June 2013
High paced old school sci-fi that doesn't fall into the trap of being too utopian or dystopian amd that sets things up well for more books in the series. My only issue is you never really get a good understanding the motivations of the "baddies" which is a pity as their behavior is quite often a little odd.
on 17 October 2013
For me this was one of the best sci-fi operas that i have ever had the pleasure of reading. It essentially hit all the spots it was supposed to. I have ordered the next book in great anticipation of more thrills from this author.

on 25 January 2014
Best interstellar sci-fi for years. Wonderful to have something un-put-downable!

Characters reminiscent of Star Wars - but without the religion. Read this book you will. Ha ha.

Loved it :-)
on 18 June 2013
Great first in the trilogy, one of the "can't put it down" books, both because I'm really enjoying the story, and partly because of the writing style where each chapter switching between one of the main characters in the overall plot.

Well recommended
on 8 April 2013
This is truly an amazing book! Currently this reader's number 1.
From the way the characters develop as the story progresses, to the believable situations in that arise.
I was "on the edge of my seat" for long periods of the story and I'm looking forward to more from this author.
on 17 December 2013
What a good book, couldn't put it down. Read it in two days...
Just about to buy the next in the series..
If that is just as good will buy his other works..
I just like his writing style.
on 16 March 2012
Thoroughly enjoyed this take on the future, it was not over the top, great story, interesting concepts and one great character.

I nearly did not read this book after attempting to read Daniel Abraham "The Dragon's Path" which I have so far failed to finish. But am I glad I did. There were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing and I cannot wait for the next installment.
on 28 July 2013
I thought it was well paced and a bit different. Its a mixture of sc-fi and detective story , it was less predictable than a lot of sci-fi stories I seem to read although the main character was a run of the mill goody..