Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 16 August 2007
Voice of the Gods is the final installment in Canavan's more adult trilogy, Age of the Five. Her earlier, and internationally bestselling series, The Black Magician trilogy was OK, but I found this trilogy much more fun, and to be better written.

War, temporarily averted in Book two, Last of the Wilds, returns. Auraya, extraordinarily Gifted, and one-time Priestess of the White (the high priesthood that personally serve the Gods) has been expelled from the White for refusing to murder the Immortal, Mirar, with whom she has fallen in love. Instead, she returns to Siyee to protects the people she has taken as her own.

It's nice to see strong, clever female characters in fantasy. They often tend to be neglected, or forced into stereotypical roles... I was therefore, slightly disappointed that Auraya seemed to take a bit of a step back from the action in this book. She plays a large part, but doesn't seem to actually do much. Though undoubtedly necessary for the plotline, I would still have liked her to be more directly involved.

It was interesting to see the Points Of View, equally, of both sides in the war. As in many conflicts, both sides' causes for war were much the same; manipulation by their leaders (in this case, the Gods of both sides) was responsible for the hatred and religious fervour fueling the bloodshed.

Much more of Canavan's own views of religion came across in this book than any of her others, I felt. Particularly in the epilogue at the end, which was brilliant and unexpected. The whole scene was reminiscent to me of the Roman acceptance of Christianity, this time with the Emperor of Sennon deciding to stop all the bloodshed by accepting, though not necessarily believing, in the belief of One God.

Mirar, the Dreamweaver, didn't get to maximise his full potential in this book; he seemed to be almost overlooked. It was nice though, to see some of the other Immortals play a large and crucial part in the story.

The revelations about the Gods were also interesting, and explained a lot that had come before in Priestess of the White and Last of the Wilds. However, the huge revelation to Auraya & co. came as little surprise to me. By the end of Book 1, I had guessed the true nature of the Gods, and I was rather disappointed when it actually came about. As a result, the ending felt a bit rushed and anti-climatic. Nevertheless, Voice of the Gods was a good read, slightly below par on the rest of the series but still a worthy conclusion to Trudi Canavan's second trilogy.

7 out of 10. It wouldn't have taken much to make this 8. I'll be interested to see more of Canavan's future work. She will be returning to the world of her first series The Black Magician Trilogy, for some more books, I believe.

For more reviews, amazing and regular competitions, and author interviews visit: [...]
on 10 February 2017
Not as great as others, but still good. Tied up a lot of loose ends and gave explanations, but I wasn't convinced by the ending. If I was going to re-read this trilogy (likely), I would probably stop reading before the end.
on 16 April 2017
I'd started the series, so I had to continue. Sadly, it doesn't get better as it goes on. IMHO, the three books could have been condensed into one volume, minus a lot of boring unnecessary detail. I would have preferred it as one pithy, fast-moving saga
on 27 February 2007
I was very disappointed by the first in Trudi Canavan's new series, but things picked up in 'Last of the Wilds', possibly because a new range of interesting characters were added. 'Voice of the Gods' is a worthy ending to the series, although I am still not sure who the Voice is? Is it Nekaun or the fact that Auraya can hear the gods voices. Some solid character development for many - Auraya, Mirar and Emerahl in particular, let down by the interesting character of Reivan being dumped into the role of woman-pining-after-her-man. As ever, the female characters are much better drawn and developed than the male. The development of the gods probably meant that the Siyee and Elai became more secondary but that did not detract from its merits. The twist in the tail was good and done very subtly - I could see it coming, but the confirmation was worth waiting for.

Main detraction is the appalling art-work on the US paperback editions - unfortunately having spent money on buying them, I won't buy the UK ones in paperback although they are much more preferable. But, I decided I couldn't wait - and I am glad that I didn't. Trudi Canavan's writing is maturing gracefully and I look forward to what comes next.
on 13 July 2007
Well here I was having read Priestess of the white and starting Last of the Wilds when I made the mistake of reading some of these reviews - I now know the endings. Damn! - Could reviewers please limit the review to opinions on the book itself - and style - rather than actually spelling out the end. I'll not buy now as I don't really see the point.
on 18 July 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and although I had been a little disappointed by the depth of characters in the previous two books, this was improved in this last book, especially the cruelty of the gods and in particular Huan. Despite this being a lengthy book, I could not help feeling that in an attempt keep the series as a trilogy, things had been a packed and shortened. For example at the end of the book (Don't worry I'm not about to spoil the ending) an action is taken by some of the immortals that have not had a great deal of impact in previous books, for example the Gull, and yet even in this final book he gets little a mention and it is the sort of character I had hoped to find out more about in this final book. Overall the ending does seem a little predictable, however this is still a brilliant book and I have no doubt that if you have read the previous two then you won't hesitate to buy it - it's worth it!
on 10 October 2007
Trudi Canavan has an amazing imagination and once again she has managed to come up with an amazing world where the smallest of details have been intricately thought out. Unfortunately, all through this trilogy I felt that the story was let down by her writing style which needs to be a lot tighter.

The spells of long, annoying, tedious thought processes are one of my pet hates. A made up example being: Auraya opened the door. 'I've just opened the door, I did that because I wanted to get into the next room. The only way to do that was through the door, so I had to open it.' Pointless and lazy writing.

The ending will not come as much of a surprise to most, unless you've been guilty of skipping pages searching for some plot points and action and missed all the overdone clues trails.

But however grumpy this trilogy made me feel, I still found myself thinking about the world she had created even after I had closed the book. And this I believe is Cananvan's skill.

Read it, enjoy the world Canavan created but expect flaws.
on 14 September 2009
I liked the previous two books in this trilogy, but the final book was absolutely the best. It tied together the loose ends, there was more depth to the characters - especially Auraya - and I couldn't guess the ending until I reached the final pages. Well, there was one major thing I had guessed, but I wasn't sure (and I won't say what so as not to spoil anything).

I did especially like how each character was given more 'space' to unfold his/her personality. Emerahl and the other Wilds became much more interesting, and in general there weren't really any boring parts. I also very much liked the new White (finally, a character to hate!) and the actions/lunacy of Nekaun. Previous characters haven't been inherently evil, as such, but these two characters brought more intensitiy into the cast. And I cannot stress enough how exciting Auraya's development was.

The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars and not 5 is that the ending seemed a bit anti-climactic for me. I had expected more of a blow-out, and I think the ending left me wanting something more tense and confrontational. Still, I think this was a great ending to a great story. I can definitely recommend the series, and even more so this final book.
on 6 April 2013
This entire series is wonderful. This is the third book. If you have read the other two, you already know what to expect, and I doubt this one will disappoint. Admittedly some of the 'big reveals' in this book are somewhat predictable, but it's not in me to take any stars off for that because the truth is I just enjoyed it so much that to give it any less than 5 stars would feel wrong. I would recommend this series to anyone, and quite a few of my friends are already reading it as a result!
on 11 February 2008
I don't have much time, so will be brief. This book was a let down. I really enjoyed the original trilogy by T Canavan, and this trilogy got off to an excellent start with the first book. The 2nd book was also good, but only half a book, so I was anticipating the final installment with eagerness.

It is not very good. Not a lot of action, and lots of missed opportunities for creating an engaging read.

A lot of build up, with out any real delivery, and it ends quickly and poorly after 500 pages (plus the other two books!) of build up.

Summary - worth reading if you have read the first two, but overall a let down, and this trilogy was no where near as good as the original "magician" trilogy.