Customer reviews

Degrees Of Freedom: Metrozone Book 3 (Samuil Petrovitch Novels)
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 25 September 2011
This series was a recommendation for me from Amazon and have to say that it has been an absolute cracker - I've read the three books in as many weeks. If pushed I might say that the plot has items from other sci-fi (AI , post Armageddon etc etc ) but what makes this work is that the hero is a character who you can identify with - he does not always do the right thing but he does try to do so. The action takes place in London and when when I say action thats an understatement and the entire series rockets along with the US not coming across as very sympathetic once the religious right get into power - the conversation at the end of the third volume with the US president has me cheering him on - saying thijngs about nuclear weapons policy that just are barking .. but hey, that's me. The book also makes a very good point about our dependancy on comuters and the way they can be manipulated
Finally I'd say its one of the best sci-fi series I've read, keeped up the pace and interest all the way through - added to the list of ones to watch
on 8 June 2011
Initially, I was somewhat sceptical. A good review for the first book, and a birthday gift voucher inspired me to pick it up. Before I'd even finished the first book, I'd pre-ordered the second and, well, the third was a no-brainer.

If you're a fan of the Cyberpunk 2020 RPG game (from the '90's), then you'll be wanting to read some of this. If you like Halting State by Charles Stross, chances are, you'll enjoy this.

A post-apocalyptic London, the protagonist is a Russian genius slowly becoming a cyborg (one major injury at a time), with a gun-toting, ex-nun for a wife, and his best mate is an AI (and is buried in a bunker). Mix in right-wing nutters in the good ol' USA wanting to bring hell-on-earth to anyone not in the US (especially when there's an AI on the loose), well, that's one hell of a combination.

If I was looking for any failings in this book, it's that there's just too many women prepared to throw themselves at the Sam (the main character)... especially considering how much of his body is failing!
on 14 October 2011
Earlier books held promise of a huge scope, and I thought he'd be headed for the stars by now or at least off-world but Petrovitch is still just getting into street fights and grubbing around in the murkier parts of London. The plot twist has a rather weak human motive behind it, would they really do all that just because they felt that way? Also why didn't Samuil have enough imploders to crush the Americans' bomb into nonexistence? I hope there's another novel in the series from Mr. Morden because at the very least I know his protagonist won't be in London and maybe he'll have the chance to use his excellent intellect a bit more instead of just running around and getting smashed up.
on 23 April 2012
I'm giving this same review for all three Merozone books, which I read in succession. They're entertaining enough, and the writing is quite competent, but didn't leave me particularly desiring to to read more about these characters and their world. The elements are a mix-and-match from a fair number of earlier books, and the characters just slightly on the comic-book side. But a good waste of time, nonetheless.
on 26 December 2012
Any science fiction series set in London featuring a scrawny anti-hero and gun totting nuns gets my vote. This third installment of the Metrozone series does not disappoint. My only slight criticism would be that our hero's ability to survive crippling injury and soldier on powered only by strong black coffee borders on the unbelievable (unless he has developed immortality as well as anti-gravity!) but that is not going to stop me pre-ordering installment four. Enjoy!
on 18 April 2013
The rollercoaster continues... even a hardened sf reader needs to suspend disbelief but the pace makes up for it. The plot charges along like a runaway nano infestation, our hero suffers and is unfeasibly popular despite his flaws. Loose ends are tied off and the slightly gasping reader is not disappointed at the end. It's just chulish to criticise something that's such fun!
on 12 April 2012
Bought all 3 books in the trilogy for Xmas and I have to say they were worth every penny. If you like books featuring stark vision of the future like I do then these are the books for you!
on 30 April 2012
I read all three of these books very quickly and loved every minute of them. I am just sorry now that I read them quite so quickly.
on 8 November 2013
Get these, a great read! ignore the following ,,,Great product, very useful - fast delivery as always - it does what it says on the tin - ta
on 12 December 2013
Probably the best written book of the series so far. Morden is getting into a good stride. Looking forward to more Metrozone books.