Customer reviews

The Blinding Knife: Book 2 of Lightbringer
Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 September 2012
Fantastic, the character depth, the plot, the action, love everything about Mr Weeks and his writing. Don't often review books but couldn't bear that he only had 7 (highly starred) reviews for his latest masterpiece. Just seen the plan has been expanded from 3 books to 4 - which just means even more to look forward to. Unputdownable, read this one in 3 days flat (thank Orholam for being on holiday when it was released). Weeks sits easily next to Hobb, Brett, Eddings and co on my book shelves... And dare I say outshines most (except the genius of Pratchet of course but best not compare yourself to god himself just yet).

The most impressive thing I think is the whole concept behind the magic, I read a lot of fantasy and the luxin concept and uses is the first original system I've come across in a long long time. Now desperate for the third book, but no doubt a year or so to wait for that one (starts searching amazon already...)
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 July 2013
There are many good writers of fantasy fiction, there are fewer exceptional authors and Brent Weeks is one of these. I have read all of his books and he has repeatedly surprised, horrified and delighted me. Not only with the unexpected twists and turns of his stories but also with his strength of characters with their great depth and in most cases obvious intelligence.

One of these reviews talked about the poor writing of female characters and I couldn't believe how wrong that review was. Yes, many of the women in this book are in secondary roles but that is because almost all of the story is told from the viewpoint of two men. The times when the story is told from a female role show that these women are just as strong and yet react differently from their male counterparts which is true to our world as well.

The magic background and the history and development of the satrapies is shown more in this book but at no time does the reader feel that they are being lectured as is so often the case with lesser authors. There are hints of what is to come and threads left hanging but I can honestly say that I have no idea how this story will finish, who will live through it (I expect at least one main character to die) and how everything will be resolved.

I am so looking forward to reading the next book!
on 18 February 2014
This is adult fantasy with compelling characters and an occasionally shocking disregard for the conventions (and limitations ) of traditional fantasy. The characters are by far some of the most realistic and complex in fantasy. The lines between hero and villain is deliberately blurred. For a story about colors its interestign to see people depicted in shades of grey instead of black and white.

Other amusing points are the inclusion of magical blend between tatot and playing cards - which the author in the closing acknowledges is inspired by magic the gathering. Luckily this product placement doesnt take over the story.

Brent weeks is well on his way to becoming one of the powerhouses of modern fantasy and in this book (and series) challenging Brandon Sanderson for the crown of epic fantasy world builder.
on 19 October 2012
I enjoyed the Night Angel trilogy but whilst they have some marvellous ideas, I didn't think the execution was quite there yet.

Black Prism I felt hung together and read much better, so my hopes were very high for this volume and I'm pleased to say it really didn't disappoint. The "magic" system continues to be a joy in its combination of logical understanding and outstanding mysteries. Character-wise, you're never entirely sure who are the "good guys" and who are the "bad" - indeed I'm not sure half the characters really know which they are or which their "side" is! Good people do bad things in defence of an establishment they know is corrupt and seriously flawed - bad people use bad methods to fight for good ends and against the tyrannies and apparently evil ways of that establishment. But where does the truth lie? All marvellously ambiguous and makes the characters and storyline that much more fascinating.

I'd agree with other reviews that the unexpected death of one major character part way through felt like a waste of much that had gone before. And likewise hope that things are not as they seemed and that there are developments yet to come in that particular storyline.

There aren't many authors I buy in hardback. I did for this and am really glad I did. I can't wait for the next volume and am torn between frustration and joy that I read elsewhere that it'll take him two more volumes to conclude this story!
on 24 September 2012
This book picks up where Black Prism left off and I expect fans of the first book will like this one too as they're very similar in tone and style. We get lots of fast-paced action around Gavin, Kip and Karris, with moments of humour. The characters are all well-drawn and believable, as in the first book. We get more of Kip in The Blinding Knife and a lot of time is taken up with his training to join the Blackguard, with mishaps and complications along the way. He really gets thrown in the deep end. Meanwhile Gavin is dealing with his abruptly shortened life expectancy and working to hide his loss of blue magic while dealing with a fleet full of refugees. Karris gets a bit of airtime, but mostly from someone else's point of view. There's also a new female character, Teia, who's a bit more cheerful than Liv. All in all, I'm definitely looking forward to Book 3 - especially as this one ends on a cliffhanger!
on 23 May 2013
I love all the books written by this author and this proved to be no exception. Mr Weeks storytelling ability is simply the bees knees as far as I am concerned. The twists and turns are many, intricate and satisfying. And he never takes the obvious route either. Simply gutted that the next instalment will not be available till next year...consoling myself by rereading and rereading....and rereading.
Two Thumbs Up as well as both my Big Toes. I heartily recommend for all fantasy lovers and book lovers everywhere.
on 1 August 2013
Brent Weeks is a newly discovered author for us, and we have thoroughly enjoyed reading his books. If you like a tremendous story line, extremely good characterisation and a very well written book, then this is a series of books you'll find hard to put down. It's difficult to come across new authors these days who aren't repeating the same old stuff, or with similar story lines. Brent succeeds where so many authors fail. Just hope it's not too long before the next one in this series is written!
on 16 November 2014
This guy's incredible. I'd recommend any one of his books to any person, of any age, and have. I've recently had a really nasty injury and have been hospital/bed bound for weeks, and nothing made me forget the pain better than losing myself in the amazing worlds this author has created. If Brent Weeks ever reads this, thank you sir, fantastic job and please keep writing! I'd love preludes telling the stories of the Night Angel trilogy characters like Momma K and Brant Agon, and a book telling the story of the False Prisms War! Anyway thank you again, this book and all your others have been a huge help to me.
on 22 February 2013
Like many of the readers of the Lightbringer series, I first bought The Black Prism after loving Brent Weeks' The Night Angel trilogy. I always like to give Authors I have enjoyed a chance by buying their new books. In the past this has been either something great or a terrible mistake. In this case I made a wonderful decision.

After reading the first book which I thoroughly enjoyed and would probably give a 4.5, I knew that we had a brilliant author in Brent Weeks and not just a one hit wonder! However, being a huge fan of The Night Angel trilogy I was still unsure whether this new series would be able to live up to my expectations. That was until I read the second book, The Blinding Knife.

This book just blew me away, I couldn't put it down and I was totally engrossed from start to finish. Sometimes authors struggle to write good sequels, but this is not the case here. This book far outshines the first one in all ways and is most deserving of the 5 star rating I gave it. It's full of twists and turns that will keep you guessing, and there is never a dull moment. I highly recommend you get this book as it is a great read and well worth your time and money!

Look out everyone, I can see Brent Weeks becoming a big name in fantasy if he is not already. Let's hope he keeps up the good work!

Also, if you don't already, I recommend following Mr Weeks on Twitter, he's a funny guy!
on 21 September 2014
This book is a wonderful middle book. Sometimes they can fall flat but this one doesn't. I love the hard element of the choices gain has to make. Parts of the book are written in like a first persons view or a narrator's first persons view which I didn't like and found I skimmed over those parts but they are few and far between.