Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2012
After her last book I had to wait a full year for the conclusion to the best trilogy I have ever read. All I can say is TOTALLY WORTH IT. All the loose ends are tied up nicely and a couple of threads that I was worried would go wrong were explained in a believable and plausible way.
The story picks up with GEORGE waking up as a clone and it rattles along nicely from there. This is a book were you have to have read the series in order, or you will not get the full benefit of this trilogy .
I am not going to give away any of the story in my review, its too good for that, suffice to say my daughter and I were fighting over this to get first read, and currently she has not came out of her room for two days now, she is that engrossed.
HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
on 4 October 2014
I like the Newsflesh Trio. When I read the first book I was surprised at how blasé the characters were about growing up in a world of zombies. As you continue to read, you find your attitude switching to that of the characters: zombies? I just don't care anymore...

However, as the trilogy goes forward, I did find myself becoming less and less empathic with the characters and was sick of Shaun's constant inner turmoil.

To ruin a perfectly good trilogy: completely rewrite the relationship of the two main characters. Those who have read the book will know what I mean.
VINE VOICEon 23 July 2012
I've really enjoyed this series, and had waited a long time for the conclusion.

This continues the excellent story telling and rounds the story off nicely, with options for further instalments left open.

There's not much I can tell you about this book that wouldn't give stuff away, but then if you're looking at buying this book then it means you've already read and loved Feed and Deadline: The Newsflesh Trilogy: Book 2, so I doubt there's much I need to say anyway - this book is a must for those who loved the first two.

I'm hoping Mira Grant does something else after this, as I'm a big fan of her work. I know she also writes as Seanan McGuire (Rosemary and Rue), so perhaps I'll have to try those books out soon.

For today though, I'll be sinking my teeth into the short story Countdown for the story of the Kellis-Amberlee outbreak.
Blackout brings Mira Grant's superb Newsflesh trilogy to a thrilling conclusion. Its a brave author who kills off one of the main characters at the end of book one but keeping her spirit alive as a voice in her brother's head then bringing her back as a clone in this book was just brilliant.
My teenaged son complained that there wasn't enough gory zombie action in this book as did another reviewer but this trilogy was never meant to be a zombie gorefest. It was always a well written science fiction based conspiracy tale that happened to feature zombies and as such it succeeded on every level.
The characters were all believable and well drawn and drew the reader in, the world was imaginative and realistic and the story kept you gripped as it twisted and turned with nary a clue as to what would happen next.
I for one couldn't put this book down and am sad that the trilogy had to end but certainly looking forward to what she writes next.
on 6 August 2012
This trilogy of books, (Feed, Deadline and Blackout,) is absolutely amazing! I'm not going to go into the storyline, other reviewers do that better than I can, but this is the best trilogy I have read in a very long time. I bought the first in the series because I love zombie books but I have to say that even though there isn't much zombie action I hardly noticed because the story is that good! I have a policy that if I buy a book which is part of a series I wait until I have them all before I read them. In this case I am very glad I did because I think I would've been tearing my hair out between books! (especially with the jaw dropping conclusion to Deadline. Don't know about anyone else but I sooo didn't see that coming!!)
All I can say is that if you're a fan of zombies, conspiracies or thrillers you should get this trilogy. I'm keeping these books so I can read them again and I'm very selective in what I will read more than once!!
on 24 April 2013
Without giving away anything about the story, this is an amazing series of books and a great finish. I just wish that there were more stories to tell, but I suppose there is a certain finality to the end.
on 4 November 2013
Loved the first few so thought I may as well continue with the set! Not terribly well written but fun story line and an easy read, I did not want to put it down at times. If you like zombies with a good twist on survival, give it a go!
Please note Blackout is the final book of the Newflesh trilogy and there is good chance that there will be potential spoilers in this review if you haven't read books one and two, don't say I didn't warn you. With that said lets unleash the undead one more time...

The standout character in Blackout, and probably the series as a whole if I think about it, is Shaun Mason. By book three, he has reached the stage where his grasp of sanity is teetering on the brink. The events recounted in Feed and Deadline have just about managed to push him over the edge. I do like when an author is willing to put a character through the emotional wringer. Each time you think Shaun is going to get some small respite, something else terrible happens and he has to deal with the consequences. His instability makes him a particularly interesting read as you have no idea what he is going to do next. He is truly capable of anything, rational argument one moment and then threatening to shot someone in the face the next.

I've heard the criticism from others that the politics and blogging references in this series are a trifle unrealistic. Now I'll admit that my knowledge of the American political system is limited to watching The West Wing, but the entire trilogy certainly seemed to be pitched at about the right level for me, so any inaccuracies are unimportant. I enjoy nothing better than a shadowy government conspiracy, and Grant keeps things ticking over nicely in that regard. The intrigue that runs through the entire series, and the political elements mixed together lifted the plot above the norm.

One thing I would have liked a bit more of is the zombies themselves. When I reviewed the second novel, Deadline, I did mention that the undead were a bit thin on the ground. In fairness, I should point out that the direction of the story made that a sensible decision at the time. For the final book, I think I expected the focus to move back towards the zombies. Don't get me wrong, overall I think that Blackout succeeds in bringing the story of Georgia and Shaun Mason to suitably satisfying conclusion. There just weren't enough zombies to warrant the `horror' label. I'm pretty bloodthirsty when it comes to horror, and I like my zombie novels to have as grim an outlook as possible. I've watched these characters develop over the course of the three books and I've grown to like some of them, and hope for a nasty death for others. I think I just wanted a bit more peril, perhaps a few more character deaths? I don't know, I guess I'm just evil.
on 2 September 2012
And so the Newsflesh trilogy comes to a satisfying end. A very enjoyable yet different take on the Zombie Apocalypse even though there weren't enough zombies in this part. Good mixing of politics and conspiracy. The humans are just as scary as any zombies!
on 3 February 2013
While I enjoyed the first book quite a lot, this third and final installment just did not work for me. There are too many parts that simply do not mesh together very well and the book tends to make use of "fortunate coincidence" a bit too much in my opinion