on 21 March 2017
This was hugely enjoyable and satisfying read. The Dragon's Path is book one in a completed quintet and if the next four keep up the excellent standard found here, it has the potential to be a classic series.

George R R Martin describes this as everything he looks for in fantasy: me too. The world building is rich and varied. The plot is intricate and clicks together well but it's the characters that will stay with you. Multiple point of view structured books are a gamble; because if one character is weak, that chapter will suck the life from the book and destroy the momentum. That's not a problem here. All the characters are fascinating - not necessarily likeable - but fascinating all the same.

There are two characters in particular who are simply outstanding creations. First is Geder: a bullied, put upon, bookish but highly intelligent minor noble, he is a revelation. His story arc stunned me in a truly positive way.

Next is Cithrin: a young woman who was orphaned and brought up as a ward of the bank. As with Geder, she shows growth albeit in a more subtle and complex way. Both are a marvel.

It's also a unique novel in that it uses finance, economics and trade to rationalise and explain characters actions and interactions. If I've made it sound dry, don't worry it's not. Abraham makes it very accessible and it blends seamlessly into the plot as all good exposition should.

The magic element is perfectly executed. This review is as spoiler free as possible but the magic is something I haven't seen much of in the genre and it's such a clever thing and has the potential to create intriguing plots.

One slight problem was the character of Dawson. As stated above not all the protagonists are likeable and he is absolutely odious. But he's still interesting and that's what counts. It was a brave choice to have chapters based around him but it works.

Complex, satisfying and highly recommended. 10/10.
2 people found this helpful
on 19 June 2016
The story kept me interested enough to read all 5 books.

Main characters were well fleshed out.

Some interesting ideas such as a banker being the hero ...not sure I was convinced about how her financial genius could save the world though.

But , in between lots of navel gazing, philosophy and planning , there is very little action. From memory there is excitement 57% of the way into book 3, 20% into book 4 and at the end of book 5.

It also doesn't help with such a pedestrian story that the final plan is something that occurred to me half way through the second book and could have been implemented at that stage except none of these heroes thought of it until we got to book 5. But any right minded half intelligent character would have.

Passed the time but pretty costly books as well..can't totally recommend.
2 people found this helpful
on 21 July 2013
I picked up this book because it featured on a list of great fantasy books, and I was not disappointed. Despite the core theme being about banking (!), Abraham has set up a rising tide of anticipation with strong and vibrant characters, ending this book leaving me desperate to get home and download the next one. If you enjoy a good fantasy, with complex characters who are wholly human in their mix of altruism and greed, then this is for you.
One person found this helpful
on 18 May 2014
Take your first step as I did. Daniel Abraham has delivered a solid first book for The Dagger And The Coin story. Characters that you instantly understand and remember, the world is explained and simple to follow. If you enjoy fantasy with multiple POV characters that are not just black & white with events and turns that keep you glued to the pages. Then give this a read.
on 10 October 2015
Very few fantasy books are this complex and still fun to read. Started reading this a while ago, but got distracted, finally finished it and happy that I've connected back with the series. Looking forward to how the story develops.
on 27 April 2017
Enjoyed these books very much. Well written and full of excitement and plots.
on 17 July 2017
For some reason I felt the book slowed down a bit around the middle. I was planning to put it down for another but the darn thing just kept getting more and more interesting.

I just finished the book and I’m glad that I kept at it. The ending is enough to pull me yet again to the next one.
on 11 October 2013
I was looking for another "epic" kind of series, something slightly less dense than George R R Maritn's works, and found it here. The story is the usual type - people put into situations which affect the choices that they make, and how the choices impact on the rest of the events taking place. The book is easy to read, not that challening, and is good escapist reading. I did feel though, that the plotting could be tighter, and the characters a little more defined, but I suppose that will come with the rest of the series.
on 18 January 2015
Written in style of Game of Thrones, that is, chapter by character, this book is perhaps not as good as some of the other series from Daniel Abraham but nevertheless an excellent read. Set in a pseudo medieval, late European-esque culture, I guess I'll try book two now.
on 1 August 2015
Lots of characters and plots going on kept me involved. Am confused as to who are the good ones, which is refreshing so will definitely continent reading.