Customer reviews

Cold Steel: Spiritwalker: Book Three
Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 2017
Book is ok, but if iI put it down, I forgot it for a few days
on 6 August 2013
I was desperately waiting for Cold Steel to come out, after thoroughly enjoying the first two books in the series. I loved the character of Kat, as she is a strong, intelligent, witty heroine, a woman you could imagine being friends with. Therefore, I was quite disappointed to find that she became wet, over-dependent and accepting. Despite this, Bee seemed to develop and become like the original Kat, a woman of strength and character. I also absolutely loved Kat's brother, Rory, who provided the light relief and a welcome criticism of Kat's character changes. Nonetheless, I still thoroughly enjoyed the book and I found the climax to be thrilling.
As an aside, if you are a bit of a grammar nazi (like me) these are not the books for you; the proof-readers should never be employed again, as the punctuation and sentence separation is appalling! (Yes, I'm an English teacher!)
All-in-all, a satisfactory ending to the series but not a completely engrossing one.
on 5 August 2013
I enjoyed the first two books in this series, but found this one went nowhere for a good 45% percent of the book. If I'd read one more description of what clothes the "hero" was wearing I think I'd have screamed, it's a relief to know I never need to read the words "dash Jacket" again. The narrative just didn't move for large chunks of the story and I think the author would have done better to make the first two books longer and forgotten about the third. Nothing really happens till the last few chapters. Bit of a shame really as I don't normally get bored reading a book, but sadly with this one I did.
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 31 July 2016
Revolution has come to Europa. Radicals are urging the oppressed workers, born into clientage to the nobles and mage houses, to rise up and seize control of their own destiny. At the same time the Iberian general Camjiata has returned home, raised an army and invaded the Gallic lands. But these great events are of lesser important to Cat Barahal than finding her husband, Andevai, now a prisoner of her enigmatic father.

Cold Steel concludes the Spiritwalker Trilogy, Kate Elliott's skillful and intriguing blend of epic fantasy, the Napoleonic Wars, the Industrial Revolution, steampunk and, er, dinopunk, all told as something approaching a Victorian comedy of manners. It's a highly unconventional work from an author constantly seeking out new angles in the fantasy genre.

It's also the best book in the series. The first two novels set up a lot of complicated elements, such as the Wild Hunt, the mage houses, Camjiata, Cat's intricate family backstory, the magical abilities of her cousin Bee and the radicals, but then let them drop into the background in favour of Andevai and Cat's romance. With that now established, these other elements rise to the fore and the story becomes more epic and complete, moving between the difference storylines and characters with greater ease than in the first two novels. It helps that the fire mage James Drake is now promoted from middling annoyance to outright supervillain in this novel, giving Cat and her allies something more tangible to fight against than the mysterious Master of the Wild Hunt and the otherworldly courts he answers to.

The pace is crisp and effective, with the book not getting bogged down in side-elements as occasionally threatened in Cold Fire, and indeed some elements feel a little under-explored given their set-up in earlier novels (most notably the dragons, who get one spectacular scene but otherwise don't play much of a role in affairs). A very minor issue is that the book does become slightly obsessed with Andevai's wardrobe choices to the point of parody (although I suspect this is the point): I could certainly do with never reading the words "dash jacket" in a fantasy novel again.

Beyond that, Elliott fulfils in Cold Steel (****) the promise laid down in the earlier two, delivering a finely characterised, enjoyable and offbeat conclusion to an original and different kind of fantasy trilogy. It's less weighty and intense, and maybe less memorable, than her earlier Crown of Stars and Crossroads series, but it may also be more fun. The book is available now in the UK and USA.
on 26 July 2013
I enjoyed the trilogy. But it's a very detailed world that the author has created, and by the time I read this third book, I had forgotten most of the details in the first two (I wish there was a plot summary of the first two books in this one...). The details were somewhat overwhelming at times (especially the endless details and discussions about clothes) and as a result the going was slow. Still, the characters were great, plot was interesting, I loved the prose and the ending was very satisfying.
on 25 August 2015
Unrealistic, irritating, slow moving and poorly structured - these are just a few of the terms I'd use to describe Cold Steel, the third book in Kate Elliot's Spirit Salker trilogy. After a solid first two books, my expectations were reasonably high. To say the book didn't live up to them would be a bit of an understatement.

The structure of the book is a disaster. For almost the entire first half, nothing happens in the main plot and nothing is achieved by any of the characters. In points, it was so dull I would definitely have put it down if it were the first, rather than the third, book. Then, with so few pages left to resolve so many issues, the second half is incredibly rushed, with key plot points being handled in a few absurd paragraphs.

There are many other issues I could mention, from the main character (literally) becoming a magic killing machine, the ridiculous sentiment of a guy with a hundred followers overcoming not one, not two but grew larger, superior allied forces with minimal losses despite an inferior strategy, the authtor's utter obsession with 'dash jackets'. Oh dear.

If you can possibly manage to go without reading the finale, I suggest you don't waste your money.
on 28 July 2013
Thought the pace was good, I didn't feel it took too long for things to happen. Glad the ending wasn't too abrupt, things were set up to go on after the climatic events had passed. Really recommend this and the series in general! Also for a person who really hates cliche'd romance stories I really like the thread passed through this story. :)
VINE VOICEon 14 July 2013
Having loved the second book in the Spiritwalker series I really couldn't wait to get my hands on this the third book to continue the adventure in Kate's wonderful world. As with the previous offerings the characters are great, the title has some great twists and when added to a story that will keep the reader thoroughly happy all round makes this a great tale. Throw into the mix a wonderful romantic addition top notch pace and all round I was a more than happy reader. Great stuff.
on 24 August 2013
Having enjoyed all of Kate's series' this book was disappointing. Firstly after a two year gap since the last a good summary of the past would have been good. On my Kindle the map was unreadable. There was too much meaningless guff about clothes and it was too long by 30%. When it was good it was very good.
I will no doubt buy her next series but will not start until they are all out.
on 1 May 2016
Great final book to the trilogy. I wasn't as in love with this series after book 1 as I had been with others by Elliott, but this book made it all work so well.