on 8 July 2016
Tad William's Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy (+1) of books is a thoroughly engrossing read. I enjoyed reading them in paper back form in the dim and distant past. I decided to grab a new Kindle version for convenience of reading ...

Unfortunately, the conversion to Kindle has errors. Mostly, it's just missing the breaks that show that the story has moved onto other things ... but reading just now the chapter 17 "A wager of little value" (loc 7623 on Kindle) I find myself irritated enough to write this review. In the middle of Joshua's encounters in the High Thrithings (no details; I won't spoil the story) the Kindle text goes straight to a discussion of Eolair's pending journey with nothing more that a comma for punctuation. This continues for a couple of pages before jumping back to Joshua (with a chunk of the story missing).

I've had to grab my old paper back copy off the shelf to read the story as intended!

Not good enough. Message to the publisher: please try harder! Choosing Kindle format shouldn't mean the text of the book gets messed up.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 June 2017
A okay entry in the series and nothing more.

First of all the kindle book has some real issues in one spot. At one point I am pretty sure paragraphs are missing as we are talking about some companions in the middle of the forest and within the same sentence it jerks to a ongoing fight halfway across the map that started earlier in the book within the same sentence?!?!?

In terms of plot, being perfectly honest it does not move the book forward that much at all which is a shame. There are some intriguing elements but at the same time so annoyed with battles being told from a persons POV who ends up fainting or some faff then the other half of the book is everyone falling asleep or thinking or falling asleep.

Character wise we seem some development in some and I really do love some of the secondary characters, on the other hand I am once again disappointied by how a certain strong female character in the first book becomes well a child again in this story and reminds me so much of the painted man series in some ways.

In all this is a mediocre middle of the series, possibly in part down to the kindle issues with the version. However being half way through the series I will conclude it, but it does fall someway short of the first book. Not a bad read but not great.
on 31 May 2017
The second book in a trilogy is often a tricky one to get right. By definition, it is taking us from the beginning of the story, where exciting things happen, to the climax of the story, where exciting things happen. The middle bit can be a dull affair as things are set up for the final book. That doesn't happen here. Indeed, I found this instalment far more compelling than the first. The pacing is much better, with every chapter serving to forward the plot in some way. There was more exploration of character in motivation and action, which was really nice to see. I thought that the structure was better too, as here, the story alternates with chapters from Simon, our protagonist, to other key characters and their own individual piece of the whole. For me, this has really made the series come alive and I am looking forward to the conclusion, enormous as book 3 is.
on 7 April 2017
This is a cracking series of books. Well written, exciting, with a host of characters and a world as well developed as the Game of Thrones books. I downloaded the next book as soon as I finished this one.
It is suitable for all ages and I would recommend it to anyone.
on 9 May 2017
really enjoyed this book and bought the next one as soon as i finished this but found the errors annoying. looking at other reviews its clear the fault has been there for at least a year and amazon are aware of this but have not fixed it.
on 21 May 2017
Can't believe I've finished - but also cannot wait for the next volume(s). I also can't believe that I have waited so long to read this.
on 13 May 2017
This trilogy from Tad Williams is one of my all time favourite reads. Books I had the pleasure of revisiting each time the next instalment came out, and now able to read in one sitting - the characters are well written and sympathetic, and the plot line takes you on a well constructed journey with enough twists and turns to keep your interest.
on 2 August 2017
Simons trials and tribulations continue with this second book and certain parts reminded me strongly of Game of Thrones. Different happenings in different lands all being slowly drawn together by the strong threads of fate.
on 25 June 2017
Bought all 4 books as I really enjoyed the story.
on 9 May 2017
Fantastic book, read the series when it first came out and still reread it every couple of years. Ranks up there with the great books of fantasy along side Raymond E. Feist's Magician ,Terry Brooks Shannarra and David Eddings early books.