Customer reviews

Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 April 2013
I have loved the Mercy Thompson series, but when I read River Marked I feared the series had had its day (pretty much like the Anita Blake series). So it was with some trepidation that I began Frost Burned but I'm really pleased that Briggs has pulled it out of the bag again. Mercy saves the day again!
A few weeks ago, Patty Briggs and her husband Mike joined a chat room to discuss both Frost Burned and Patty's previous books. The idea was to discuss each Mercy Thompson book separately, but that's not how it went in the end. I was able to join them just once because the timing didn't work for me, but the half hour I spent talking to Patty and her fans further convinced me that she is both a great author and a very pleasant person. When I shared with her my opinion that Fair Game, her third Charles and Anna book, is the best one she's ever written, she assured me that Frost Burned is even better. At the time, I took that statement with a healthy dose of skepticism, but now that I've finally read it, I both agree and disagree with Patty.

Frost Burned is neither better nor worse than Fair Game - both are as good as urban fantasy can get. From the first Mercy Thompson book (so far there are ten books in this universe), Patty has been getting better and better. In pacing, characterization and plot development, she has reached perfection. Big words, you say? Well, yeah, but so is this series.

After all that fear of her mate bond and of losing herself to the pack, it was nice to see Mercy so comfortable in her role as mate of the Alpha of the Columbia Basin Pack. She and Adam have such a beautiful, healthy relationship. In River Marked, Mercy was feeling more comfortable as part of the pack, but she was still adjusting and she still had her doubts. In Frost Burned, she is truly the Alpha's mate - she thinks as one, acts as one, and protects as one.

The addition of Adam's point of view was so very unexpected that I had to take a moment to think about it and decide whether I liked it or not. I certainly understand the need: Adam and Mercy spent most of this book apart and their mate bond can only be used so much. Besides, I feel that I now understand Adam just a bit better, and Patty did an excellent job writing from a male perspective. And yet, something bothered me about it, and it took me a while to figure it out. It wasn't the change in perspective, it was the switch from first-person view to third person view. I wish she'd done both Mercy and Adam in first person. I think that would have worked much better.

Although he was mostly absent from the second half of this book, one Mr. Kyle Brooks stole the first half all to himself. Yes, that's right - an ordinary human (though admittedly a lawyer) won me over by being a bigger hero than all those other heroes Briggs has created. Kyle has always been the brightest star in Mercy's universe, but I felt that he finally got due respect in Frost Burned.

All of the secondary characters appeared, at least for a little while, with the exception of Samuel and Bran. I didn't miss Samuel all that much (I never did warm up to him), but I missed Bran greatly. He was a constant comforting presence both in Mercy's mind and mine, but I missed his subtle sense of humor and everything else that makes him who he is.

Those of you who are still unfamiliar with my favorite coyote and her wolves should consider giving this series a chance. And I doubt I need to say anything to those of you who've read this series before... except: We waited two years for Frost Burned to be released and now it's finally here. Yaaaay!
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2013
This is another great addition to the series, but I think that if I had re-read at least the previous book, or kept up with the Alpha & Omega series, I might have been a bit more 'with' this book at the very start. Due to the absence of pretty much everyone other than Mercy and Adam in River Marked, I'd actually forgotten who was who and it did take a couple of chapters to get into the tale, and then it all came back...

I don't want to spoil the tale for you, but it's a case of damsel to the rescue as Mercy goes about finding her abducted mate and packmates...and then going yet again into battle. She's forced to use her mate-bond, her coyote-self, allies and even not-really-allies-any-more to save the ones she loves, and she does it in kick-bottom fashion. We get to see Kyle and Warren, Jesse and Gabriel, her possible love interest, her vampire friend who's doing his own thing, Stephan, and Zee makes a return in this tale, but not the affable old Zee who appeared in the earlier tales. Samuel gets a mention (he's now found his mate, a fae), as do Bran and Charles, though they don't make an appearance. As this tale takes place, Zee has been forbidden by the powers that be from having anything to do with werewolves, but he comes through for Mercy,because of his indebtedness to her. Both werewolves and fae have outed themselves, but the latter have disappeared into their own hidden world, mistrust of werewolves and fae is growing in humans, and various plots are being hatched to do away with them, involving some pretty serious government agencies...and frenemies.

It's a very good tale, however, after the disaster that was their honeymoon, I'd been hoping that Mercy and Adam would have a little more 'them-time' but the tale itself did not allow for this, though their mate bond was proven more than once, by both of them, and in fact, thinking about it, that had more of an impact than had they actually been together in the book during all of this time.

Overall, it's another good addition to the series. It's full of non-stop action, truths and half truths (to the point that I was starting to get a bit irritated with the lies and half-truths, there were SO many, and the same explanation was given over and over again), dominance issues, revelations, and wondering about who could and could not be trusted, and it's trademark Mercy Thompson (Ms Hauptman, as she's now known). It ends with a surprising reveal, which just has to mean that there will be more great reads in this series - it didn't end on a cliffhanger, but it did whet my appetite for more.

My advice, though, would be to re-read the previous book to get back into the world and, to check out Fair Game, the Alpha & Omega book, which bled into Mercy's world.
on 10 March 2013
What can I say? It has certainly been a while since the last Mercy book graced the palms of my hands. Was the wait worth the final product? I believe so.
Briggs has given Mercy a little bit of her mojo back. The part that always gets her into trouble and makes her believe she is indestructible. I enjoyed the fact that it wasn't all about her relationship with Adam. This book was a lot more like the first ones, more about Mercy and how she balances her world of fae, vamp and shifter friends.
In this book she uses the Coyote or does Coyote use her, to help the pack whilst they are in dire need. That event seems to imply a whole new ballgame when it comes to her abilities. So much so that even the vamps have started to regard her in a completely different light.
It was nice to see Stefan back in her life and indeed this plot has her knee deep in trouble with the vamp Queen herself.
Briggs mentions in the afterword that she has two native German speakers helping her with the German. This was something that always niggled me in the previous books, but this one is spot on. Both in terms of language and the way Briggs uses it in the scenes.
I felt that some of the sub-plots were just left up in the air. What happened to the assassin on the Senators detail for instance. A lot of it seemed rushed through, which is it not at all Briggs usual style.
So where do we go from here? Is there a war brewing? Are the Grey Lords planning a takeover or is the greater threat still the militants that oppose the supernaturals.
This has left me with a lot of unanswered questions, but that also means many areas of development for another Mercy book.
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2013
To be honest with you I usually read a book in the space of a few hours and whilst it's a skill that allows me to get through so many great titles, it is one that I sometimes rue as I feel that it's a shame to read a work that has taken so many months to create in such a short time.

Knowing that I had a new Mercy Thompson (Hautman) book to read, I decided to take a different tack this time. I limited my reading to a chapter at a time so that I could think about what was occurring within as well as getting to enjoy the suspense (even though there were a few times it nearly killed me to put the book down) to the max.

I'm pleased that I did, Mercy is settling into her role quite well, the characters are all firm friends and when you add a great pace alongside an arc that leaves the reader with a lot of questions at the end you know that its going to be something special. Throw into the mix old foes and new as well as some amalgamations that could lead to future co-operation and all round it's a book that I loved. Great stuff all round.
on 13 September 2015
Mercy hasn't really had the opportunity to settle into married life; still recuperating from the injuries she sustained in book 6 "River Marked". She now also has to deal with the fact her husband and his pack have been kidnapped by government agents and Adam may have no choice but to commit a political assassination to keep his pack safe.

Mercy really shines in this book. She takes the lead and kicks some serious a** to uncover the plot surrounding her mate and pack mates and takes whatever action necessary to keep those she loves safe. She also can't disregard a vampire coup and is dragged personally into a brewing war between vampire mistress Marsilia and a powerful adversary. There are several intriguing story lines that weave together as the plot progresses, resulting in the high octane final chapters when Mercy again delves into her heritage and wields her innate magic. She's a fabulous leading lady; a tough, resilient survivor that obstinately fights to the bitter end, no matter what odds are stacked against her.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 April 2014
Mercy should be settling into life as Adam's wife and Jesse's step-mother but when a Black Friday shopping spree ends in an accident and not only Adam but the entire pack aren't answering their phones she knows something has gone horribly wrong. Discovering that the whole pack has been abducted sets Mercy in full on rescue mode, especially when she can feel Adam's suffering through their mate bond. The only member of the pack not captured was Ben and along with him, Tad, Stephan and a few new allies Mercy sets out to rescue the others and bring them home safely.

I'm happy to admit that I'm a fan girl when it comes to this series and Frost Burned was another great instalment. Anyone who is also reading the Alpha & Omega series knew to expect big changes after the major events at the end of Fair Game but I definitely wasn't expecting an enemy powerful enough to take down the entire pack! I think one of the things I love so much about this series is that Patricia Briggs is always throwing curve balls at us and she consistently manages to surprise me with her plot twists. I was a bit disappointed when I realised that Mercy and Adam were going to be separated for at least part of the novel but getting a couple of chapters from Adam's point of view more than made up for that fact! It was so nice to get a chance to see inside his head and understand exactly what Mercy means to him.

Actually it was quite nice to see Mercy on her own without the pack for back up for a change, I've always loved the fact that even though she isn't as strong as the wolves physically she is able to stand up for herself. In this case she also has Jesse and Kyle to protect while she searches for Adam and the others so she really has her work cut out for her. I was pleased to see Stephan back on the scene and I also really enjoyed getting to know Tad a bit better but the best thing was a surprise appearance by Asil (who is a regular in the Alpha & Omega series). He is completely crazy and more than a little dangerous but I've been fascinated by his character since we first met him so it was nice to see him out and about causing trouble with Mercy.

I love these characters, I love this world, I love the fast paced stories full of plot twists and shocking surprises, I love how things are changing with the werewolves now they've come out to the public and I'm incredibly excited to see how the new situation with the fae effects things as the series continues. Patricia Briggs is an auto buy author and my only complaint is that she just doesn't write fast enough (surely a new book every month isn't too much to ask?).
on 16 March 2013
I picked up "Moon Called" at my local library, on a "looks interesting, why not give it a try?" basis, got hooked in short order, and rapidly devoured the entire Mercy Thompson and Alpha and Omega series, all of which I now own. This is an absolutely typical Patricia Briggs book - at the core are strong, complex characters filled with humanity and humour, who are sympathetic and likable even though she never sugar-coats their monstrous side. As ever, there 's a solid, well-crafted plot that also shows us how Mercy's parallel world has developed since the conclusion of "Fair Game", though Briggs is a character writer first and foremost.

A new twist in this book are that we get to see things from Adam's point of view rather than getting the story solely from Mercy's first-person perspective. Although we know Adam quite well by now, through Mercy's eyes, we get a subtly different sense of him when he's not filtered through Mercy's perceptions.

I was very pleased to see Kyle, one of my favorite characters from the series, taking a more prominent role. He seems to have started to fit into the dynamics of the pack - it would be wonderful to see more of that in the future.

This isn't the book to start the series - it's very much a continuation of Mercy's story, so new readers should start with "Moon Called" and work their way through that and the Alpha and Omega series before reading this one. But for Briggs' confirmed fans, this is a large helping of what made them fans in the first place, and a fine addition to the series.
on 21 March 2013
I got this on my kindle - the quality was good, no typos or problems that I could see.

The storyline was gripping - there was a point about half way through when it felt like things were wrapping up and I was wondering how Briggs would fill the pages to the end, but it turned out there was far more going on than I thought!

All the best characters get some page-time, and Mercy is as engaging a character as ever. I'm glad Briggs hasn't gone down the baby route yet, just because Mercy has married Adam - there's a lot more to explore with these characters before a kid turns up. There was a good sense of continuity, referring back to previous novels.

I was a bit thrown when some of the chapters were from Adam's perspective, but it worked and it was kind of fun to be inside the werewolf's head (and to see how much he loves Mercy, aaawwwwww).

Great book - can't wait for the next one!
on 16 March 2013
I think my review is probably more directed to readers already familiar with the series and the author. I have to say, it is such a relief sometimes when one of your favourite authors stays true to form and rewards her readers. I have not been disappointed in any of Patricia Briggs' books. They are all fabulous escapism with enough action, fast-paced writing, and a hero/heroine you truly like. Don't get me wrong, Mercy isn't perfect, but you love her anyway. Another great addition to one of my favourite series. In an era where you can be inundated with free/cheap e-books (which don't always turn out well), I like that I can return to an author and know that I won't be disappointed in the style, the characters, and her commitment to her readers. Now please hurry with another Charles/Anna story! :)