Customer reviews

Frost Burned (Mercy Thompson)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2013
I hate to write a bad review as books 1 to 5 were really good. Book 6 was too much Mercy and Adam and very little action! Book 7 just seemed to have a lot of nothing much and a bit of action at the end ! I loved the non stop action in the earlier books and I think that Mercy has lost some of her feisty self since getting together with Adam and becoming part of the pack. Adam making an appearance at the end to finish the evil vampire just wasn't necessary when Mercy had already done the job! She isn't a damsel in distress. I know other readers have said that this book is a return to form for Ms Briggs but personally, Adam and Mercy aren't Curran and Kate and I doubt I will read any more in this series!
2 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2013
I love all of Patricia Briggs' books, but the Mercy Thompson series is my favourite. And the series just keeps on evolving. With each instalment, the relationships between the various characters gets richer . This book includes most of the characters we have met in the previous books, and also includes Asil (a favourite of mine) from the Alpha and Omega series. Frost Burned is breathlessly action-packed from the very first page, with a plot that will keep you enthralled. This is another great story told in a masterful way.
on 7 March 2013
I love the Mercy books. This book is slower paced but it tells the story well. Some of the main characters from the series don't feature as much but it doesn't diminish the story.
on 13 September 2015
Mercy hasn't really had the opportunity to settle into married life; still recuperating from the injuries she sustained in book 6 "River Marked". She now also has to deal with the fact her husband and his pack have been kidnapped by government agents and Adam may have no choice but to commit a political assassination to keep his pack safe.

Mercy really shines in this book. She takes the lead and kicks some serious a** to uncover the plot surrounding her mate and pack mates and takes whatever action necessary to keep those she loves safe. She also can't disregard a vampire coup and is dragged personally into a brewing war between vampire mistress Marsilia and a powerful adversary. There are several intriguing story lines that weave together as the plot progresses, resulting in the high octane final chapters when Mercy again delves into her heritage and wields her innate magic. She's a fabulous leading lady; a tough, resilient survivor that obstinately fights to the bitter end, no matter what odds are stacked against her.
on 24 June 2013
good quality goods and fast delivery, very impressed with the service provided and I would recommend this product to others
VINE VOICEon 20 August 2014
I still think Patricia Briggs is one of the most skilful writers of urban fantasy. She drew me in, as a fan of her straight fantasy work, despite this not being a genre that normally interests me much. The point is that she draws interesting and believable characters, and their interpersonal relationships form part of this characterisation, rather than being the raison d'etre of the book.

However, in the last two books in the Mercy Thompson series, I felt that the balance had shifted, and that the story was more about Mercy's relationship with her werewolf mate, with other supernatural events intervening inconveniently in their life. I kept reading, but had stopped waiting anxiously for the next instalment.

I am glad to say that "Frost Burned" marks a return to form. The peril is the prominent aspect of the story, with the relationship developments in the background (well, after this time, Mercy and Adam really should be functioning as a team). I think the political developments too, have a lot of potential for the future.

Perhaps there isn't the same sense of urgency as in the first books, though. I suspect that, with an ever widening army of friends and allies to call on, it becomes harder and harder to ever believe that Mercy might not save the day...
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 20 April 2014
Mercy should be settling into life as Adam's wife and Jesse's step-mother but when a Black Friday shopping spree ends in an accident and not only Adam but the entire pack aren't answering their phones she knows something has gone horribly wrong. Discovering that the whole pack has been abducted sets Mercy in full on rescue mode, especially when she can feel Adam's suffering through their mate bond. The only member of the pack not captured was Ben and along with him, Tad, Stephan and a few new allies Mercy sets out to rescue the others and bring them home safely.

I'm happy to admit that I'm a fan girl when it comes to this series and Frost Burned was another great instalment. Anyone who is also reading the Alpha & Omega series knew to expect big changes after the major events at the end of Fair Game but I definitely wasn't expecting an enemy powerful enough to take down the entire pack! I think one of the things I love so much about this series is that Patricia Briggs is always throwing curve balls at us and she consistently manages to surprise me with her plot twists. I was a bit disappointed when I realised that Mercy and Adam were going to be separated for at least part of the novel but getting a couple of chapters from Adam's point of view more than made up for that fact! It was so nice to get a chance to see inside his head and understand exactly what Mercy means to him.

Actually it was quite nice to see Mercy on her own without the pack for back up for a change, I've always loved the fact that even though she isn't as strong as the wolves physically she is able to stand up for herself. In this case she also has Jesse and Kyle to protect while she searches for Adam and the others so she really has her work cut out for her. I was pleased to see Stephan back on the scene and I also really enjoyed getting to know Tad a bit better but the best thing was a surprise appearance by Asil (who is a regular in the Alpha & Omega series). He is completely crazy and more than a little dangerous but I've been fascinated by his character since we first met him so it was nice to see him out and about causing trouble with Mercy.

I love these characters, I love this world, I love the fast paced stories full of plot twists and shocking surprises, I love how things are changing with the werewolves now they've come out to the public and I'm incredibly excited to see how the new situation with the fae effects things as the series continues. Patricia Briggs is an auto buy author and my only complaint is that she just doesn't write fast enough (surely a new book every month isn't too much to ask?).
VINE VOICEon 13 March 2013
To be honest with you I usually read a book in the space of a few hours and whilst it's a skill that allows me to get through so many great titles, it is one that I sometimes rue as I feel that it's a shame to read a work that has taken so many months to create in such a short time.

Knowing that I had a new Mercy Thompson (Hautman) book to read, I decided to take a different tack this time. I limited my reading to a chapter at a time so that I could think about what was occurring within as well as getting to enjoy the suspense (even though there were a few times it nearly killed me to put the book down) to the max.

I'm pleased that I did, Mercy is settling into her role quite well, the characters are all firm friends and when you add a great pace alongside an arc that leaves the reader with a lot of questions at the end you know that its going to be something special. Throw into the mix old foes and new as well as some amalgamations that could lead to future co-operation and all round it's a book that I loved. Great stuff all round.
on 30 March 2013
I get the feeling that ms briggs is running out of ideas. The writing seemed to jump all over the place like she couldn't contain her thoughts. Chatacters seemed to dissappear with no more mention. Tad,Jesse. Not sure what to make of this effort nowhere near as fluid as the other mercy books. I have only given it 2 stars. If there is another mercy book then my advice would be......must try harder!
2 people found this helpful
on 28 April 2013
I have loved the Mercy Thompson series, but when I read River Marked I feared the series had had its day (pretty much like the Anita Blake series). So it was with some trepidation that I began Frost Burned but I'm really pleased that Briggs has pulled it out of the bag again. Mercy saves the day again!
6 people found this helpful