Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 February 2014
I love Mercy, she's a very well written and fleshed out heroine. And unlike Anita Blake, she can kick ass without having to be the object of every sexual fantasy going.
VINE VOICEon 10 March 2011
I like Mercy as a heroine but this story didn't reach the standard I expect from this author. It reads more like a horror story. It's packed with confusing American Indian occultism and legends, not to mention a mini Stonehenge for rituals and a very long and drawn-out climax. There was too much talking and telling and not enough action. As for romance, forget it and I'm tired of the device of continual physical attacks on Mercy taking the place of a good plot development. I also missed the werewolf pack characters. Having Mercy kill the monster wasn't very credible either with all those other powerful animal spirits present. But it was still readable and I don't think you can expect every book in a series to hit the same spot
on 22 June 2013
Absolutely obsessed with this author! Always excited to see what else she is going to come up with. Love the realtionship between Adam and Mercy.
on 16 February 2014
Loved this one!!! Put some great background into everything and I was starting to find her books following the same format, highly recommend!
on 3 April 2011
I loved this book and had been looking forward to the publication for months. I do agree with some of the other reviewers about missing some of the regular secondary characters, as I love Warren, Ben, Zee and Stefan, and I think we could have learned a bit more about the menagerie. However I thought it was refreshing to explore native evils and Mercy's native origins. I loved Coyote and enjoyed the parts where Mercy and Adam discovered more about their mating bond. There were incidents which I loved, for instance, Walmart, Jessie's phonecall and the antics of the walking stick. I didn't find the book at all boring, but the pace is different from some of the other books. I highly recommend the whole series, for anyone wishing to enter the world of the most fiesty independent and intelligent heroine in urban fantasy fiction.
on 18 December 2012
Liked this book, love books that are a series as the characters get to develop more. A lot of other readers complained that Mercy was more submissive in this book and followed Adam. In the previous books she fought against her love for Adam but now that she is married to him she has accepted their love and does not see it as a sign of weakness as he treats her as an equal not a submissive partner.
on 27 May 2015
Quite a break from the usual Mercy Thompson books. But it's great to find out more about Mercy's background and family history. It was also incredibly interesting to have some new and interesting characters that are not werewolves, fae or vampires. I know this book caused some disagreement with it being a little off the beaten track but it was still incredible work. Well done Patricia Briggs.
on 4 March 2011
Firstly I adore the Mercy series, it's different, lots of great characters, I love the pack, stefan and of course Zee :)

Unfortunately they weren't in this one, it was based around mercy's origins, which was great, but I missed the others, it didn't seem as interesting and was a bit of a chore to get through, however if you like the Mercy series then give it a go, still well written and I'll certainly be reading the rest but this didn't quite have me chomping at the bit to find out what happened!

There were a few new characters, I loved Coyote and am looking forward to seeing him in more books, but bring back the pack please and the beloved VW's! :)
on 11 May 2015
Really enjoying this series. Even listened to one on Audible ( they only have the one unlike in other countries that can listen to the whole series if they wish!) I've read them all now and am waiting for the next one. The Alpha and Omega by the same author are also worth reading and involve some of the same characters.
on 2 October 2012
now this is one series that although we're up to book 6 - i still want to read and am looking forward to the next book already. the storyline is still interesting and i hope that the author continues with this series for a while yet. not ready to give up on the Mercy and Adam story!