Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

I have loved Charles and Anna since we first met them in Alpha & Omega and I've enjoyed seeing their relationship develop as the series has continued. They are still fairly new mates and have issues to work through on both sides but they've come a long way since they first met. Anna now trusts Charles implicitly, she knows without a doubt that he would never hurt her and she also trusts him to keep her safe around other wolves which is a big thing for her. In this instalment it is Charles who has issues that cause a bump in their relationship but I never once doubted that they would be able to work things out between them.

For centuries Charles has been his father's right hand man, he is the one that Bran sends out whenever there are problems and Charles is the one who has to issue any punishments to problem werewolves. Werewolf justice has always been swift and severe but now that the wolves have come out to the public it is more important than ever that they don't let the humans see the monsters they can become if they're out of control. This has meant that Charles has been spending more and more time as the Pack executioner and it's taking a toll on him physically and mentally. He hates what he has to do and he worries that it will make Anna think of him as a monster so he tries to hide things from her for her protection. Of course this has the opposite effect because Anna thinks he doesn't trust her enough to let her help him. While I could see where both sides were coming from I was totally behind Anna as she fought to get through to Charles and make him let her in.

I absolutely loved the way Anna went to bat for Charles and put Bran straight on a few things, as an Omega she is outside the Pack hierarchy so she is able to put Bran in his place like no other wolf can. She had an unlikely ally in the form of Asil and I have to admit I loved the scene where he points out a few home truths to Bran. I've loved Bran since we met him in the Mercy series but he definitely had a blind spot when it came to Charles and what being the Pack enforcer was doing to him emotionally. It takes Charles a while but he gradually comes to realise what is important to him and seeing him open up to Anna was fabulous. My favourite quote from the book is this one from when Charles has a major epiphany:

Honor, duty, and love. He would not sacrifice Anna for his father and all the other werewolves in existence. Given a choice, he chose love.

I'm deliberately not going to say too much about the plot of Fair Game in this review. Charles and Anna are sent to assist the FBI with an investigation into a serial killer and they quickly discover that the killer is targeting the supernatural community. There are some major developments towards the end of the book that are going to have a massive knock on effect in both the Alpha & Omega and Mercy Thompson series and I can't wait to see how things play out. This series just keeps getting better and better with every book and I think this is my new favourite instalment. I'm just gutted that I'm now up to date with both series and will have to wait until next year for the next book to be published. Patricia Briggs is without a doubt an auto buy author for me and I can't recommend her books highly enough!
on 15 April 2012
I find that I'm actually enjoying the Alpha & Omega series more than the Mercy Thompson series, it may be because I like Charles more than Adam and Anna more than Mercy or it may be that the storylines seem to interest me more than those in the Mercy books. Although that's not to be read as me hating the Mercy books, just that I enjoy these ones even more.

The third and latest Alpha & Omega starts off with Anna having a stand off with Bran over Charles, Anna doesn't like him being used as the Marrok's assassin. When Bran realises that it is in fact what's bothering his son, he sends Anna and Charles to consult with the FBI on a case involving dead werewolves. What they find when they get there is that the murders go back to the 70s and most of the victims have been fae. They quickly realise that it's not a human serial killer if they've managed to take down several fae and also a few werewolves. They manage to save the latest victim but it brings the attention onto Anna who, having been a victim before, refuses to become one again.

I love how these books let us see more and more into Charles and Bran's heads, I love seeing Charles and Anna's relationship through his (and Brother Wolf's) eyes. And I think it says a lot about me that I love dominant Charles, he certainly managed to bring forth shivers when I read the scenes he's in.

I adore the writing style of Patricia Briggs and also her characters, she's had several books to work on the characters and I find myself loving them more with each book. And the ending of this book is fantastic! It brings forth a whole whack of possibilities and also leaves the series open for plenty more books.
on 10 March 2012
This book works on so many levels. I am a huge fan of Patricia Briggs, and unlike some authors, she only gets better. I devoured this book in just one evening and night.

I cannot wait until the next book!
on 15 March 2012
I came to this after reading a rather laborious free thriller. It was a joy to be picked up and carried along by a fast paced, well written, well characterised story. I won't describe the plot, others have done that better than I could, but will say that it's a cracking good read and I can't wait for the next one to come out.
on 11 May 2016
Better than the last one. I adore these characters and their relationship and that was all that kept me reading the last book but this one was great. A bit dark but a good thriller.
I also liked the introduction of the new characters - Fisher and Goldstein, Isaac, and Beauclaire.
I've also enjoyed how different the three books have been, story wise. The introduction story was about retribution for Anna's treatment, the first was about finding a witch, the second was a murderer within the wolves and this one was like a procedural cop show...! I just like that they're not all the same.
Will read the final one now, assuming it's a different type of story again and with hopes of happy endings for everyone :/
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 January 2014
This book was a four and a half star read. There were things I really enjoyed about it.

I read the short story in ON THE PROWL with the H and h in it and decided to find out more about their story as I liked both of the characters. This story didn't disappoint.

I stayed up late to read this, so my review probably won't make much sense, lol, but the author has a great writing style and the reason why I docked half a star is because I never saw Charles actually be the violent wolf he could be. When finding Anna, he didn't go all berserk, he was pretty calm.

Other than that, very enjoyable read.
on 12 March 2012
Patricia Briggs has been on my autobuy list for a long time, and this book is no exception. I literally could not put it down, and read it from start to finish in one sitting, despite having loads of other stuff to be doing. The character development and relationship insights are, as always, top-notch, but this book also adds some strong new "good guys" and not so good (Hally!) characters, all around a decent plot, and a gripping finale. As other reviewers have commented, the only downside of how the book ended is the wait to find out what happens next.
on 21 March 2012
Other people have written full reviews, so I will just *thumbs up*. Great continuation of the story, and I read it in one sitting! More please!
on 16 March 2012
After a disappointment from her last Mercy Thompson book I was a bit cautious about this 3rd alpha and omega book. But have no fear, it's a much better book with interesting developments both in Anna and Charles' relationship and in the wider world. There is of course the inevitable problem with the mate bond and the dramatic 'Anna is in danger moment' but Patricia Briggs keeps it believable and interesting. Here's hoping the next one is just as good.
on 24 May 2012
Until now I would definitely have put Brigg's wolf novels in second place to her Mercedes series.This book changes that. Here we have a whole array of convincing supernatural characters, as well as developments with Charles and Anna. On top of that, events at the end of the novel promise an enormous shake up in Briggs-world. This was great - and I'm already hungry for the next.