Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 September 2009
I love the Mercy Thompson books, and this one is a continuation/spin-off of that world. It is about Samuel's brother, Charles, and his newly found mate, Anna.

Since Charles lives in Aspen Creek, Montana, we get to learn a lot more about the Marrok, his home and his pack. I really enjoyed this, and look forward to reading more in the future.

However, I was seriously confused when I was reading the book. There are frequent, detailed, references to earlier events, and yet this is the first in the "Alpha and Omega" series. I even re-read the Mercy Thompson books (hardly a chore!) to see if I had missed the plot development there.

But my confusion may be solved. I think that Anna and Charles met and "clicked" in Patricia Brigg's short story, which can be bought in the "On the Prowl" collection of stories. I can only assume this from one of the detailed reviews written for Patricia Brigg's short story in that collection (thank you "clairefromwales"!). I have ordered a copy to check this, and will update this review once I have. {UPDATE - Yes, you should really read the short story first. The actions in the short story directly precede this book, and you are missing out on a treat if you don't read the short story first!}

So my suggestion - I think you should read that short story before this book. Having said that, even without having read the story of their meeting, I really enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it to all those who love the Mercy Thompson world (or, alternatively, it you have not read that series either, then check out at least the first Mercy Thompson book (Moon Called (Mercy Thompson)) before this one !)
11 Comment| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
To be honest I'm a fan of Patricia's heroine Mercy Thompson however for some reason I really had a hard time getting to grips with her latest heroine set in the same world. She felt a little under whelming and whilst characters need vulnerabilities to keep the reader attracted to them, I was not sure that she was the right one for the role that was thrust upon her. Add to the mix a very possessive male principle protagonist who treated her a bit like a china doll and you can probably imagine how much I started to loath her.

That said however, the adventure that you get with Patty is always going to be something special as the scrapes really are close and she does play for keeps which always keeps me glued to the novel. Add to the mix an uncertainness in regard to the outcome or which way it is going to unfurl next and it's a magical mystery tour of an adventure. Don't get me wrong, Patricia's writing is still several rungs above a number of others within the genre today but I never lost that niggling feeling to do with the female lead and whilst she does emotionally grow within the context of the tale I do hope that she goes further next time to make her a character that I can not only respect but one that I can empathise with one hundred percent.
on 8 October 2008
As werewolf novels go this one is a good solid read but it is by no means the best out there. The plot is well planned and well carried out but I was left feeling that it could have been so much more with just a little more effort. As the first Patricia Briggs novel I have read, the world she has created here is easy to pick up and you are not left feeling as if you are missing vital information from the book that introduced these characters originally - an anthology.

After 3 years of mistreatment at the hands of her own pack, Anna meets Charles. She learns that she is an Omega, and as such is entitled to a far more revered position within a pack structure. Not only this but he is her mate. After years of abuse and subjugation she is not so much reluctant, but wary and untrusting of her change in stature. Just as she is introduced to new territory, evidence of a rogue wolf turns up, prompting Charles and Anna to be sent to investigate. A dangerous task that will test them and their relationship to it's limits.

This book rolls along smoothly but it's not going to be a book you can't put down. The characters themselves are engaging and easy to like - aside from Charles's step-mom of course, she's not a nice woman, but that's intentional :) . One thing I would say though, for a paranormal romance novel it was very light on the romance. One particular tryst takes up a page and half at most while another barely gets it's own sentence. Not all paranormal romances need graphic scenes to grip you but the lack of them in this book makes it hard to understand the bond that grows between the central characters. Perhaps I am judging to harshly but I failed to find much chemistry between Charles and Anna because of this.

I will be reading more by Patricia Briggs. After a little research on Amazon I discovered that Anna and Charles's story starts in an anthology. I think this may be why I've missed the chemistry between them as I missed them meeting each other and discovering their link as mates. That part happens in another book.

Overall, this is a book I enjoyed, but it didn't make me love it. Let's see what else Patricia Briggs has in store in 'Moon Called'.
33 Comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 30 September 2009
I absolutely love the Mercy Thompson books so was thoroughly looking forward to this spin off: but what a disappointment. First, as the previous reviewer mentions, there are loads of references to the short story published elsewhere, which is really annoying and I don't see why the book couldn't have started with it.
That aside, or possibly because of that, I found both Anne and Charles uninteresting and unconvincing characters. Mercy Thompson and the crowd of characters who surround her all leap off the page at you and sparkle. Anne and Charles are just dull, dull, dull.
On the bright side, there is interesting pack stuff, such as the role of an Omega, and the witch stuff, especially in relation to Bran's past, is interesting. So I will try the next one, to see if Patricia Briggs can bring them up to scratch, but I am not holding my breath. On the whole I would say borrow it from a library or buy a second hand or sale copy, don't rush to get it at full price (unlike the Mercy Thompson series, which I would highly reccommend!!!!)
on 17 December 2016
I got into these Alpha and Omega novels through reading the Mercy Thompson series, which I love. However, I love this pairing even more. I could hardly put down the book until I finished it. Going to read the remainder of this series now. The hero and heroine are a well rounded couple and in learning to utilise her Omega status, especially as she relates to Charles, Anna's journey is well told. Exciting read.
on 21 August 2008
'Moon Called', 'Blood Bound' and 'Iron Kissed', the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs, are excellent books. 'Cry Wolf' is a book in a different series but with many characters the same. At the beginning of the story the hero and heroine have already met each other and discovered that they are 'mated' - these events took place in the short story in the anthology 'On The Prowl'. Although I've read that story it was some time ago and I couldn't remember all that much about it, I think it would have been helpful for it to have been printed at the beginning of this book to set the scene.

However part of Patricia Briggs' writing skill is that her books work as standalone novels, even when part of a series. It doesn't take too long before the reader learns about the life of Anna Latham who was Changed to a werewolf three years ago and kept under the thumb of the evil Alpha Leo. She was rescued eventually by Charles Cornick, brother of Samuel who appears in the Mercy Thompson series and son of Bran, the Marrok or top werewolf of North America. Charles is taking her back to their home in Montana and as they arrive Anna starts to wonder what her place will be in this world, what skills she has and whether she can fit in.

Charles is his father's enforcer, hired muscle to deal with problem werewolves, and he's worried that gentle Anna who has been badly treated by werewolves might struggle with this. However before they have any real time to settle in Charles is sent out into the Cabinet mountains in Montana to investigate reports of a vicious werewolf attack, and Anna comes with him. As they uncover evidence of what took place it becomes clear that there are links to events that took place hundreds of years ago, that some other wolves in Bran's pack may share some responsibility for events, and that they are working against an evil person.

Although I enjoyed this story I didn't engage with it in quite the same way as the Mercy Thompson series. This tale is told in the third person so we see events from Anna's and Charles's view, sometimes from other characters too, which gives us perhaps a more rounded but less involved take on events. The relationship between Anna and Charles didn't entirely work for me and I felt that I didn't learn a great deal about their characters. However the book was very informative about Bran and the werewolf structure and history and there were some interesting side characters such as the briefly-met Leah, wife to Bran.

I don't think that Patricia Briggs can write a bad book. However this one wasn't quite to the standard of 'Moon Called' and 'Blood Bound' in my opinion and it's not one for my keeper shelf. The teaser excerpt from the next Mercy Thompson book, Bone Crossed, looked very good though, and I look forward to her next novel with great anticipation.
on 22 April 2014
this series is more of Charles and Anna and in this book we see them out on a mission to find out about a possible Rogue Wolf attacking and killing people. As always there's more to the story, and what seems like a simple excercise ends up being a dangerous one, involving people thought long dead and a very evil witch. There's real danger here and even Bran is brought to the edge...
We see more of Bran's misfit pack and I enjoyed that too. We hear and make assumptions about them when references occur in other books, but its great to learn more about some of the individuals that make up the pack.
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2009
Anna Latham, an Omega werewolf still adjusting to her status and history of abuse, has arrived in Montana with her would-be mate, Charles. Charles' pack is controlled by his father, Bran, the Marrok, or basically the alpha of all the werewolves. As Anna is adjusting to life in a new pack, with new trust issues, and a new mate that she has to get to know, trouble crops up in a nearby forest. Somehow, it's related to an extremely old werewolf in Bran's pack who believes he is going a little insane and needs to be put out of his misery. Charles and Anna must do their part to sort out the trouble before the public catches on to the werewolves' presence while adjusting to new life together.

I can't really imagine reading this book without having read the short story "Alpha and Omega" in the On the Prowl anthology (my review). It picks up directly afterwards and I can imagine the reader feeling lost without having already been acquainted with Anna and Charles and all that had happened. Similarly, someone who hadn't read the Mercy Thompson series would have missed out on the connections between books. I don't know how well this stands alone, but as someone who is a fan, this is a great start to a spin-off series.

It's not quite as engrossing; Anna is not nearly as compelling as Mercy, for one thing, and Charles still feels a bit stiff. But it's easy to warm to these characters as they warm to one another, and Anna's ongoing struggle with her past is handled in what I considered a believable way. Anna has to learn to trust Charles and he has to learn not to do anything to betray that trust. I really felt that they both grew in this novel, so even though they're not my favorites, they are still likeable and convincing.

The plot itself is a bit of a race to the finish; there is hardly a dull moment and a lot is packed in here with the mystery, resolution, and the relationship drama. The story itself is not really much of a mystery, but more as a way for Anna to develop while providing a bit of suspense outside of love. A lot of the book also fills in pack dynamics which are missing more from the Mercy Thompson series; for example, the concept that the inner wolves mate choose mates without the human side's consent. This is what happened with Bran and his mate Leah, something I had wondered about, and happens with Anna and Charles almost instantly. Luckily for the latter, their human sides fall in love too, but it's interesting that this isn't always the case.

Anyway, I really enjoyed Cry Wolf .* Perhaps not great literature and I wasn't immediately racing to read the next one, but I'm looking forward to it.
on 1 November 2016
Cry Wolf had me weeping, smiling and fearful at times. Even giggling in places.
The vilens were strong enough characteristics you routed strongly against them.
The writer leaves you wanting to know what happens to Anna and her mate next.
I would definitely recommend it to readers who enjoy this genre.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2008
I was desperate for the next Mercy Thompson installment and realised Briggs had brought out another sort of 'spin off' story about Charles; Son of the Marrok and younger brother to Samuel Cornick.

I'll have to admit, i loved all the characters very much but i just couldn't love Charles like i do Samuel. Ok, as a reader i've know Samuel Cornick for three books now and this is Charles' first shot but i felt either too much of the character was hidden or he just wasn't my kind of guy!

Anyway, the story starts by immediately throwing us into the belief Charles found his Mate while on a mission for his father in Chicago. Anna, his new mate, is from the Chicago Pack and despite being formmerly abused by said Pack is the rarest and most intriguing form of werewolf- an Omega.

Charles is injured after his mission in Chicago and the two travel home to the safety of the Marroks territory. Not long after their return, a rogue stirs up trouble by murdering hikers in the nearby mountains and Charles (with Anna by his side) are sent out to deal with it.

The introduction of a new and very old charater means this small errand for Charles isn't quite what it seems...

I'm sorry, but i feel i've missed a book out here. I feel a little duped. The most interesting issues are missed- how Charles got injured, how he met anna, why anna so readily leaves her home town, how and why Charles killed her former Alpha... the list goes on. I feel a little stupid here 'cause i hope i haven't missed out a book!